LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Questions about tools needed for opti removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:49 AM

Questions about tools needed for opti removal

I just had a few questions about the information that my Haynes manual says about the opti removal. When I did a search on this board about the removal, every thread states that you will need a puller to remove the balancer. In the Haynes manual it states that you do not need one, just remove the three bolts. Also I have read that I need inverses hex bits to remove the opti bolts, but in the manual it just shows four regular bolts and does not specify that I need a inverse hex bit. So what are all the tools that I need to remove the opti?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Administrator

In theory, when you remove the three bolts that hold the damper/pulley to the hub, it will "fall off".... unfortunately, if there is any rust there - and there will be - removing the damper can take anything from a few gentle taps of a hammer, to a 3-jaw puller. In any case, do not pry on, hammer on or pull on the outer rim of the damper. That can damage the rubber ring that connects the inner and out halves. Tap of pull only on the inside diameter.

You need an inverse-Torx (E4) to remove the Opti cap from the Opti body. I think the Opti it fastened to the block with regular bolts.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:30 PM

Thanks for clarifying things up a bit. So I will not need an inverse bit if I’m replacing the whole opti? I have a brand new unit from GM that I just going to replace the old one.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:01 PM

You only need the inverse bit if you plan to open the Opti once removed. I just took a torx screw and used it as a tool by holding it in a pair of vice grips and using it like a socket.

You need a 10mm socket to remove the Opti from the timing cover. You will probably need a harmonic balancer puller to get it off the hub if rusted as previously mentioned. I recommend using a C clamp to hold the hub from turning when removing the bolts. Hook it through the pulley and under the stabilizer bar that runs under the front of the motor.

Get a seal removal tool and replace the timing cover seals around the pump shaft and Opti shaft while you are in there but I wouldn't remove the timing cover unless the gaskets are leaking.

Last edited by SweetZRag; 03-26-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:58 PM

Spray some penetrant on the hub the night before and it will pull right off. I learned this the hard way