LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Question about a MadZ28 tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Question about a MadZ28 tune

Im gunna get a tune from him cuz 1 i could use it and 2 im sick of seeing my check engine light...my only question is how do you tell him what codes you want deleted and what emission controls to deactivate...also will this effect me goin to get my inspection...i live in jersey and i know i can get around emissions but will it not go through cuz the codes are deactivated?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:26 PM

I got mine tuned by madz28 he made it so it would still pass obd2 emissions test even though I have no hardware. We dont have inspection though, they just hook up a code reader
Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM

so when they hook up the code reader it just goes right through without a hitch...nice ill have to get this done soon...im already on my second failure and the cops are ridin me about it
Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by TBSPW
so when they hook up the code reader it just goes right through without a hitch...nice ill have to get this done soon...im already on my second failure and the cops are ridin me about it
I dont know what Visual inspection are like though since I've never had them. I dont know if they would notice the absence of the AIR pump and cats.

But I pass all the time w/ no cats and AIR/EGR tuned out
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM

As far as letting them know what you want you just email them and you tell them what you want. Then they do one of two things. Either send one to you that they have in stock and you give them yours as a core. Or you just take yours off and send it to them, but then you have down time which isnt a good thing if its your daily driver
Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM

I advise that you make sure your tuner does not hide any readouts. If they hide a readout, 2 things happen: (1) you won't be able to read it (2) the emissions people may not be able to read all the codes they reqruire and they will fail you.

Some tuners may not want to let you know what they did. I had mine tuned one time and the tuner hid the readouts----I failed. Had to have it tuned again and the readout left in tact so that I could pass.

It's one valid reason to buy yourself a cheap stock PCM to have on hand in case you need one for one reason or another. Good insurance for a low price.

I still have my brand new stock PCM. I sent a used stocker in for my tune. And sometimes the tuner will merely swap a tuned PCM for your core, if they have extras in stock. Food for thought. JMHO
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
I dont know what Visual inspection are like though since I've never had them. I dont know if they would notice the absence of the AIR pump and cats.

But I pass all the time w/ no cats and AIR/EGR tuned out
Heck around here its suppose to be visual, they look and even the state troopers know where to look for the cats. I know someone that got pulled and ticketed for no cats.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RicocheT
Heck around here its suppose to be visual, they look and even the state troopers know where to look for the cats. I know someone that got pulled and ticketed for no cats.
Ya its a joke, I can roll into the emissions place and some latino who doesnt know what the hell he is doing just hooks up a scanner, screen says pass and I pull out w/ longtubes and cutout open lol.

BTW how much was the no-cat ticket? Thats always scared me...but I've never heard of anyone being inspected by anyone around here...I though they quit doing the old mirror trick back in the 70s I've though about getting a heat shield from a cat welded up so it looks like I have something there.

Last edited by Jazsun; 07-09-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
I advise that you make sure your tuner does not hide any readouts. If they hide a readout, 2 things happen: (1) you won't be able to read it (2) the emissions people may not be able to read all the codes they reqruire and they will fail you.

Some tuners may not want to let you know what they did. I had mine tuned one time and the tuner hid the readouts----I failed. Had to have it tuned again and the readout left in tact so that I could pass.

It's one valid reason to buy yourself a cheap stock PCM to have on hand in case you need one for one reason or another. Good insurance for a low price.

I still have my brand new stock PCM. I sent a used stocker in for my tune. And sometimes the tuner will merely swap a tuned PCM for your core, if they have extras in stock. Food for thought. JMHO
When I had maz28 do mine I went in person and he knows how to do it so all the sensors are in the 'ready' state which is what the emissions peoples equipment look for.