LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

problem with new motor.. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:28 AM

problem with new motor.. HELP!!

i have about 300 miles on the motor the exhaust burns my eyes after getting on it a little bit, and i pulled the dipstick and it smells like fuel got in the oil.
what does this mean? is it a major problem like rings not sealing or something?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:56 AM

Re: problem with new motor.. HELP!!

no, gas will bypass the best of rings due to its lack of thickness. pull the spark plugs and clean them if necessary. obviously, drain your oil and refill with the cheap stuff until you are sure the leaking is gone. let every drop of oil drip itself out, even if it takes an hour. 1) check your vaccum line going from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold. check and see if it is dumping gas through it. if you have fuel through there, the diaphram is broke and you need a new FPR. 2) check for leaky fuel injectors. remove the fuel rail with the fuel lines still attached. hold the fuel rail over a bucket and have a buddy turn the key to the "run" position. do not try and start it though. the injectors will pulse and shoot the respected amount of fuel. turn the key off. if it continues to drip fuel, you've got a leaky injector.
3) if it runs like crap, you might have a fuel inector stuck open, but that doesn't sound like the problem.
start there, tell us what you find!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
no, gas will bypass the best of rings due to its lack of thickness. pull the spark plugs and clean them if necessary. obviously, drain your oil and refill with the cheap stuff until you are sure the leaking is gone. let every drop of oil drip itself out, even if it takes an hour. 1) check your vaccum line going from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold. check and see if it is dumping gas through it. if you have fuel through there, the diaphram is broke and you need a new FPR. 2) check for leaky fuel injectors. remove the fuel rail with the fuel lines still attached. hold the fuel rail over a bucket and have a buddy turn the key to the "run" position. do not try and start it though. the injectors will pulse and shoot the respected amount of fuel. turn the key off. if it continues to drip fuel, you've got a leaky injector.
3) if it runs like crap, you might have a fuel inector stuck open, but that doesn't sound like the problem.
start there, tell us what you find!
when i pull the vacume line off should i start the car? the car did it when i fired it for the first time and now it only does it once it a while. i just hope its the diaphram not any internal damage to the motor.

thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 01:43 AM

ok i checked the diaphram vacum line and it smelled like fuel but when i put it on and fired the car up nothing came out. then i did a vacume test on it for about 10-15seconds and it held fine. do you think maybe it only leaks at wot??

i check the injectors and none of them leak. what do you think i should try now?

could it be my tune?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:37 PM

does anyone else know what it might be?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:28 AM

A bad tune job shouldn't dilute the crankcase. Look for a dead cylinder. Possibly wires crossed going to plugs. Wouldn't hurt to check and see what the O2s are doing also. Although I doubt they are the single source of your problem. If your running pig rich, they are probably shot now.

Do you still have cats? Don't have it in your signature. If so, they are probably shot now too.

Oh yeah, since you don't have your cam specs in the signature, what is your vacuum level?

Scan it for codes that do not set the SES.