LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Polyurethane Torque arm mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 08:09 AM

Polyurethane Torque arm mounts?

Those of you that have them what do you think? Are they worth it? Do they increase vibrations? How hard was it to install?
Old 05-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Administrator

I found that using the poly TA mount, along with a poly trans mount gave the whole drive train a much more solid feel, and provided better lift on a hard launch. Got to help traction. I never noticed any serious vibration problems, but then I wouldn't have cared if it did.

The TA bushing install is a bit of a PITA. To get the old one off, there is a long bolt on the bracket that goes all the way through the tranny (at least on my M6). The nut on the other end also holds the cat support bracket, if I recall correctly. To get the bracket loose, you have to push the end of the TA over to the drivers side about 6". Or else you need to loosen the TA differential mount, and thats another real pain.

Then when you get the mounting bracket out, you need to seperate it into the two halves, and grind the rivets out of each 1/2 that holds the stock bushing pieces in the bracket.

When you install the poly bushing, its easy because you just need to put some grease on it and push it over the end of the TA and close the bracket around it.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info Fred. I am going to try them out.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:40 PM

the torque arm mount only has one bushing...so there isn't a "them"

as for the install, fred pretty much covered it. a real PITA! i managed to do mine in a dirt parking lot at my apartment though. i actually found it pretty easy (albeit DIRTY) job to remove the mount, however, installing it was a problem. you have to really get some muscle into it to close the clam shell type bracket back around the bushing, while at the same time trying to get the bolts to start...

two people probably would make it much easier.

and i noticed a very minimal increase in vibration, although i already had a lou's short stick which doesn't have the "noise dampening" bushing at the base.

as for feel, it made the power shifts seem much smoother. i pretty much eliminated wheelhop, granted i already had some LCA's on.

i think it's a worth while mod for those that can't afford a $300 torque arm
Old 12-04-2003, 02:35 AM

I have been looking everywhere for a post like this... Its like 3 30 AM here in FL and cold, need to get to school tomorrow so I decided to do it now.. Didnt know where that other bolt was... i have no cats on the car.. you guys think it would be ok to remove the cat mount completly?? Dont see how im going to get to that damm thing anyway..
Old 12-04-2003, 12:23 PM

I didnt notice a difference when I put mine in. Oh well it was only a little bit of money.
It will be fine if you dont put the convertor mount back on. Ive been riding without mine for years now. Just make sure when you tighten the bolts for the cat that you push up the exhaust while tightening so the intermediate pipe doesnt rattle and bang on your tunnel brace.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:38 PM
WOT

A trick to make it easier to hook up is to use cable ties. Use some cable ties to pull the front of the torque arm down and another set to pull it over to the tranny. That makes hooking it back up (hardest part imho) much easier. the cable ties have to be good ones though.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:03 PM

Im all done... I just need to finish torquing down the top bolt(the one that usually comes out or breaks), I cant get to it with a socket and its too far in for an open ended wrench.. YOu guys have any ideas?? It was pretty easy... Just time cosuming and a pain, other wise I think it was easy, didnt drop anything, put it on like it was, jacked up the driver side back though.. SO about that bolt, how do I reach it???