LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Please help Passenger Side o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Angry Please help Passenger Side o2 sensor

I have a 94 T/A A4. And lately the car doesn't want to idle when it's warm. It use to be worse but I changed the driverside o2 sensor it when down so the 02 sensors are the cause. So i just came from my local Meiniken shop and they failed to take out the passenger side O2 sensor. They said the only way they can do it, is by dropping the whole exhaust then doing it. Stopped by the dealership and they wanted 90 bucks to replace one. I live in the Sayreville/Wood Bridge/Old bridge area. Does any know or is there any one who can help me out please please. I am really stressed about this damn thing. I am open to my suggestions or help please help out. Thank very in advance.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:55 PM

Re: Please help Passenger Side o2 sensor

I got mine out by going through the right front wheel well and using the proper sized wrench. It wasn't easy, but I didn't need to take the exhaust out or anything. Too bad you don't live down my way or I'd help ya.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 PM

Just unhook your battery ( so you don't get shocked), take off the starter motor ( 2 bolts, and 2 wires), than the 02 sensor is a breeze to change after that. BTW, do you still have the stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe? Also used the o2 sensor wrench which can be borrowed for free from autozone/ o'reileys, it makes the job a lot easier.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Yea the car is bone stock. The guy at tne Meineken said the wrench couldn't reach because there was no way to get to it.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by My94T/A
Yea the car is bone stock. The guy at tne Meineken said the wrench couldn't reach because there was no way to get to it.
He's full of crap. You just gotta be creative, ingenuitive. I did it with a standard 24mm wrench through the wheel well and I didn't have to remove any engine parts.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Yea i didn't think it would be that difficult. But he claims the wrench couldn't reach it. and he needs to drop the exhaust and crap. So far they seemed pretty honest so i don't know. The guy said he giving me a free diagnostic tomorrow after that told him that the ruff ideling can be caused by o2 sensor. what you guys say should get it done...since it's free??
Old 01-06-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by My94T/A
...I live in the Sayreville/Wood Bridge/Old bridge area. Does any know or is there any one who can help me out please please...
Hmm...my psychic powers are on the fritz. What state/country is that in?

An O2 socket usually works. It's just a matter of finding the right way to get to it.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:12 AM

Oh sry about that. I was really stressed when i wrote it. It's in U.S. and in NJ. Thank you Shoebox. Yea the guy told me he used blow torch and everything he couldn't get to it and his wrench couldn't reach it.Plus I afford to take it to the dealership to get charged 85 bucks to change one O2 sensor.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Call all the smallish exhaust shops in the yellow pages of your local phone book. Tell them you have a stuck O2, in a hard to reach location.
That's what I did, and found a smaller company with nothing else to do -they charged me $30. After hearing their horror story it was no wonder I could not get it out. They said it wasn't cross-threaded, but they had to heat it up, get a wrench on it quick, get the maximum turn they could (maybe 1/6 of a turn), and then repeat.

Worse comes to worse, the threads pull out on it and the have to put a new bung on the pipe. Still shouldn't be more than $40 at a smaller shop.