LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Please Help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 01:18 AM

Please Help ASAP!

Ok. i have GOT to get my Opti replaced.

Will this distributor cap and rotor work from Autozone? DR2026

or do i need to contact this Cromer guy to get an actual optispark thingy...??????

Also, i got a thermostat from Autozone as well. is this the right one? i was looking on shbox.com and he says and shows in one of his pics that the thermostat we need is the longer one? is this right? if so then i need to get a different stat as well.

Also, along with the new opti what else do i need to do the install? Water pump gasket? anything else?

And can anyone tell me why every 25mins of driving(no matter what, stop, go, or highway driving even) my freaking radiator gets too hot and coolant starts, literally, gushing out of my coolant recovery tank? This is really starting to **** me off. I can't even drive for 25mins and it overheats and gushes coolant all over the place. I just recently put in the new stat i mentioned and also got a new radiator cap. I have tried to follow all the directions for drain and fill, but to no avail. Would the fact that my opti is bad be any sort of assistant to my overheating problem?

HELP ME PLEASE!!! I AM GOING CRAZY!!!

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:35 AM

As long as the optical sensor in the opti isn't screwed up the cap and rotor should work fine. You will need a number 4 (I think) inverted tortz (sp) to remove the cap and rotor from the opti. They can be hard to find; I had to go to a specialty tool store for mine. And yes, you will need water pump gaskets and some gasket sealer. I'm not sure about your coolant problem, did it start after the thermostat went in or before?
Old 05-15-2004, 01:38 AM

it started just before i changed the stat. i was on my way back from getting the stat(20min drive) when my coolant started gushing out. first time it happened. hasn't stopped since. dunno maybe my water pump is going out too? hope not.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:47 AM

Possibly. Is the weap hole leaking water onto the opti?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:08 AM

by weap hole do you mean bleeder valve? if not then i am not sure what you mean by weap hole?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:17 AM

ther is a small hole about 1/16, or smaller in the water pump. it is on the bottem and close to impossible to see. you have to be looking directly at the bottom of the pump from under the car, or with a mirror.

the purpose is to warn you the pump is going out before your are left stranded. it will leak slightly and could be the reason your car is overheating. and if it is leaking it will put hot water directly onto the opti which in my opinion is what causes alot(at least some) of our opti problems.

also it is possible the impellar in the pump has worn down, or rusted to the point it doesnt pump the water well enough to cool the engine. i'd suggest replacing it and the opti at the same time.