LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Please don't tell me I need these after I thought I was done ordering!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 02:02 AM

Please don't tell me I need these after I thought I was done ordering!?!?

i'm shipping my car due north tomm. morning to put all my goodies on....LT's, 58mm throttle body, hotcam kit, head and intake port matched, and some other things. I've got all i thought i needed here's a list:

96 Z converted to ODB1

throttle body
hooker lt's and y pipe
30lb injectors
hotcam kit
plugs,wires
rear o2 sims (but not the extensions) DO I NEED THESE TOO AND HOW MANY IF SOO if so i knew i'd forget something....which ones fit my car?
ported intake and heads

i'm afraid after reading i'm going to need the ext. for the o2's...they have looks like three diff. shapes and pins....if i do need them which ones front? rear? or both and which pines fit the 96's

thanks alot b/c i'm going to have to overnight them i guess so he can have them monday

btw...what's the best torque arm with a driveshaft saftey loop on it and what site do you guys get it from?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:30 AM

Re: Please don't tell me I need these after I thought I was done ordering!?!?

You can always just extend the wires. Heat shrink is your friend. If you know how to solder it will be just as good. If not then you can purchase some 2" o2 extensions for cheap bro. You need 2. Dont freak out. LOL
Old 05-13-2006, 08:12 AM

Sims plug in place of the rear O2s. You would need extensions if you were trying to reach the rear O2s on the pipe.
If you are truly converting to OBD-I, you don't need sims or extensions.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RUFST

btw...what's the best torque arm with a driveshaft saftey loop on it and what site do you guys get it from?
Try the Spohn adj. torque arm. They make one that takes the mount off of the tranny tailsection and places it in place of the factory tunnel brace. I am not sure why they said "factory" brace cause I did not have one, but any how, it is a straight forward swap.Make sure to get the torque arm that is made for headers. Be aware that vibrations from the drivetrain will be present in the car so if you are looking for quiet, this is not the piece you want. I have poly trany and motor mounts so I was really concerned.
It can be ordered with front or rear or both driveshaft loops. Install time was quick as I think I spent more time getting the car up and down off of jack stands, than I did installing the torque arm. I got mine for around 375$ shipped on a special that was run through this board abou 1 1/2 years ago.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Sims plug in place of the rear 02s to simulate 02 sensor function. Only necessary if you're eliminating the cats. If you're not eliminating the cats, extend the wires. If you don't want/can't get the sims right away, the car will run but will throw codes (MIL will come on).

both front 02 sensors will need to be extended anyway. Get some wire of the same guage (16 I think.. not sure so check) and just solder the sensors longer. I think I extended both of my front 02s about 20 inches and it was way more than enough and I ended up Ziptying it all together so it wouldn't escape. Make sure to put heat shielding around the wires.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:53 PM

The Spohn TA made for LT's is the one I got on my car even though I don't have LT's (got that one in the rare chance that later I might put them on but that won't happen now since I'm in the early stages of selling my ride).

Mine has the 2 loops and rod ends at both ends, it's not as noisy as I thought it would be but trying to keep the locknuts tight is a PITA, they usually vibrate loose then you hear a lot of buzzing inside the car. I just might locktite them down the next time I wanna get under there to do stuff.

It's a good piece, well worth it IMO and takes a lot of stress off the tranny tailshaft and makes the car hook better too.

Keep in mind that the brace for LT's has the dip on the right side and even on a car with stk ride height (like mine) it does scrap sometimes over speed bumps and sharp ramps so be aware of that.

pics:

Tony
Old 05-13-2006, 03:01 PM

so i do need extensions for the front o2's, or should i just use 16ga. wire that will do just fine w/o worrying about a fire in the future. if i do purchase them how long and what style do i need...i think there are 3 diff. ends on them that hooks up

thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Do not cut into the harness from the O2 to the connector. It can ruin the function of the O2. If you want/need to extend the front O2s, buy extensions (flat type connector) or use wire to extend the engine harness side of the connection.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Do not cut into the harness from the O2 to the connector. It can ruin the function of the O2. If you want/need to extend the front O2s, buy extensions (flat type connector) or use wire to extend the engine harness side of the connection.
I cut and soldered mine.. they work perfect.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by urbaNHunter44
I cut and soldered mine.. they work perfect.
How do you know? Have you monitored them with a scanner? Maybe you have.

The sensors draw reference air from the space between the wire and insulation. Anything that compromises that can have an effect on how the sensors work. It's generally a better idea not to bother the wires.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:16 AM

okay thanks alot guys i think i'm going to buy the extensions just in case......thanks alot shoebox i thought that might happen if i done that down the road

btw do you guys think that i need a 5" tach or not....this is basically a street car seeing some but not alot of track time......i'm getting to old for that as far as money's conserned with one on the way and all....i've still got it buy thought about sendding it back....my engine bldr. said my stock tach would work jsut fine. boy does that C2 and light look mighty nice up there though
Old 05-14-2006, 01:26 AM

You can put a DS loop on the Global West Tracklink.. This is the Torque Arm that I have and it was probably the best suspension mod I have done to the car to date and there have been a lot of mods.

Its a tad bit pricey, but it really works great.. The car was instantly squatting less under HARD accelleration and nose dive under braking was almost eliminated. The car feels awesome coming out of the corners now.

I have driven cars with the Spohn arm and the BMR arm and I consider them sudo junk.. They are OK, but no where near up to par with the GW piece.

Check it out at www.globalwest.net

later!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:00 AM

I only needed one extension. Did you buy 2 of them?

part# 125-109011 Thunder racing $25

Last edited by 94zgreenmachine; 05-14-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 AM

no i haven't bought any yet but i have everything else...i dropped my car off yesterday and the guy doing it said he get me one so thanks for all the info

i've got a c2 5" tach w/light but i'm sending it back so maybe out of the return i can get a torque arm w/a loop on it, i guess i'll get one from thunder racing since i'm getting credit on my tach. they have bmr and sphon you guys help me decide which one is best please...i've seen alot with sphon on them so i'm leaning that way

thanks alot