LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Pics of my alternator relocation setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Pics of my alternator relocation setup

Don't have time to post details right now but I will later. Here are the pics.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Are you going to have the beast together for street fights this year?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Gotta pay off the shortblock then buy a 9inch and I'll be up there.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:50 PM

why would you want the alternator there?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 PM

Don't have AC anyway, cleans up the engine bay, don't have to remove the alt and jack the car up to get to the tensioner to lash valves at the track etc.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Looking good man. Hope it runs good when ya get it all together.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 PM

When you get a chance could you give a little how-to on how you did your setup? Belt length? Supply list?
I've been kicking this idea around since i have no a/c either but the $300 relo kits killed that thought...
Old 04-01-2007, 09:42 PM

There's not much to it really. On the top end I just cut off the bracket right above where the highest bolt goes through the bracket and into the head (pic #4 shows that well)

As far as the actual bracket goes it is bolted to an existing hole in the accessory bracket. It runs towards the pass side of the car then makes a 90* turn and comes forward, then makes another 90* turn back to the pass side of the car (next to last pic shows this). Also reinforced it with a brace running from the first bend to the backside of the bracket. It's pretty thick steel (had to take it to a machine shop to have them bend it. Accidently took them the wrong template which is why there are so many washers between the alt and the end of the bracket. Used a stock bolt to connect the relocation bracket to the acc bracket (will loctite this when I chase the threads and get it down in the car). Used a 7/16 bolt through the bracket and alt with a locknut on the end. And used a stock bolt on the low side where the alt mounts directly to the acc bracket. You have to grind a good 1/2" of material off the alt on the lower end to get it spaced right. Also have to fool around for a while with washers on the pulley on the top and on the alternator and relocation bracket to get everything lined up. Belt length hasn't been determined yet. This definetely is a fairly labor intensive job and you need someone that can TIG weld the top of the bracket up and a machine shop to bend your new bracket and someone that can MIG a brace up on it. Also had to use an angle grinder to clearance the bottom of the bracket for the alternator fins.

I'll get some better pics of all the stuff I just talked about soon.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Nice looking conversion, I will be attempting the same thing very soon.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Looks good. Want to do mine now?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Second that..looks good
Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 PM

Have you test fit this into the car yet? I think you may have clearence issues where it's at now. I just got through doing this, and I had to keep the Alt as tight against the bracket at the bottom as possible so it would clear the frame rail on the drivers side. I don't have anywhere to host pics or I would post up what I did so the folks here can compare. I notice your alternator is smaller than stock, but it still looks awfully tight..

Dave C.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by CCCCCYA
Have you test fit this into the car yet? I think you may have clearence issues where it's at now. I just got through doing this, and I had to keep the Alt as tight against the bracket at the bottom as possible so it would clear the frame rail on the drivers side. I don't have anywhere to host pics or I would post up what I did so the folks here can compare. I notice your alternator is smaller than stock, but it still looks awfully tight..

Dave C.
I would assume that you meant passenger side and not drivers side. I made something similar to the one above but all I did was hack up the stock bracket and use a piece of flat bar steel to brace the outer hole of the alternator. Needless to say, I had to bring the alternator as close as possible towards the center of the motor for it to clear the the frame rail.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Yup in my oversight I discovered this. It's already touching the acc bracket, but i'm gonna take the sawzall and move it as far inward as I can. I'll get some new pics when I get done with fixing it.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by CCCCCYA

Dave C.
Yup....I just finished this as well.....and my CS 130 alternator is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY tighter to the block than that....and I have MAYBE 3/4 clearance to the frame.....

Gonna hafta get it tighter to the block....

Check out these pics....

http://home.comcast.net/~rmackintosh/Site/Engine.html

Quick Reply: Pics of my alternator relocation setup