LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

patriot LT1 heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Jlo

Wink patriot LT1 heads

Hey guy's was wondering what you guys think of the Patriot heads for the LT1, if you guy's think there any good...the price seems to be great and for the parts that it has. What's you're guy's opinion on these are they worth it or are the Dart heads better? here's a link.

https://www.patriot-performance.com/...&cat=91&page=1
Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM

I would be interested to see these on a flow bench and a dyno test. I am running a pair of their BBC heads on my 427. I'm really pleased with them.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 AM

They are ProComp chinese junk.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 AM

I don't have personal experience with this particular product. Similar Chinese products are usually crap. I also object to all the American flags, the name Patriot, etc. when they are made in China and they don't even bother to tell you that. I very much doubt these would perform nearly as well as home ported stockers.

But if you try them, please post your results and your imprssion of the quality, or lack thereof.

Rich
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Where does it say their heads are from China?
Here are quotes and other info. copied right off their web site:
"All of our heads are built using the highest quality parts right here in the USA!"

Patriot Performance
103 Rainbow Industrial Blvd.
Rainbow City, AL 35906

There is no suggestion of that anywhere on the site!

We have a set of heads on order. Due in very soon. If it's clear they came from China, they maybe in for trouble with me. That is mis-leading and is illegal!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM

I believe final assembly is done stateside it is a chinese product though.

Here is what one of the salesman had to say.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/11295237-post15.html

Remember this is a salesman, honest ones are the minority.
Notice he mentions some USA components but does not deny the china connection.

Combined that with the quote in the above post and this is deceptive at best.

Do a web search on ProComp and Partiot heads in general and see what comes up.

IMO people jump on the aftermarket head bandwagon much too quickly. If I were to go aftermarket on the heads I would do Trickflow, results from them seem to be the best at least for now.

I would absolutely use the Dart before Patriot, but again IMO this is grossly overhyped, certainly a quality product but I am seeing zero results to support it being put up on the pedestal it has been.

A little Googling turned up a post where the Chevelle guys pushed the Patriot saleman to admit they were chinese castings.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...2&postcount=67

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 04-13-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBuzzard
Where does it say their heads are from China?
Here are quotes and other info. copied right off their web site:
"All of our heads are built using the highest quality parts right here in the USA!"

Patriot Performance
103 Rainbow Industrial Blvd.
Rainbow City, AL 35906

There is no suggestion of that anywhere on the site!

We have a set of heads on order. Due in very soon. If it's clear they came from China, they maybe in for trouble with me. That is mis-leading and is illegal!
No, the key is the word "built". What they mean is that they take the Chinese junk parts and have some high school dropouts "build" (assemble) them. All of the parts are definitely Chinese though.

Rich
Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 AM

I wonder if you could get a bare pair and put in your own components???? Might be good???
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
I wonder if you could get a bare pair and put in your own components???? Might be good???
I have not inspected a set of these particular heads. If they are like other similar products I have inspected, the casting will be of poor quality as will the machine work. Bolts holes not drilled, in the wrong locations, treads cut poorly, valve seats not concentric, etc. Maybe these are better? It's possible. That wouldn't make the deception any better though, IMHO.

Rich
Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM

I would be careful with those heads as Rich said they are kind of a poor quality casting, I have seen a set and was not real impressed........get some LE1's ore some LE2's.........maybe some afr's if u can afford it.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 PM

I have a friend that had LS1 patiot heads. They were junk and cracked on his 408.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
No, the key is the word "built". What they mean is that they take the Chinese junk parts and have some high school dropouts "build" (assemble) them. All of the parts are definitely Chinese though.

Rich
That is probably one of the best posts I've read on the forums.

You call it like it is. No BS is the way it should be.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 PM

For $400 more, you could buy a set of AI 190cc heads which are FAR superior. Don't get wrapped up with some of these companies that "dis" GM head castings. When ported correctly and applied to the right combination of parts (ie., cam, injectors, headers, exhaust, tuning), they perform VERY well.

Jason
Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM

Why the bashing?

I just spoke with Patriot after sending them an e-mail with my concerns about what's being said on this and other forums. Sounds unjustified based on what I hear from Patriot. These forums are a great place to get information, but they can also be overly critical of a companies product based on a single experience.

I agreed to keep my order in place with Patriot. I will receive them and take a look at the quality of the product. Then I'll have a local qualified expert take a look and render their opinion as well. I want to see for myself if there is any justification for the comments that have been made about these heads.

FYI, what I heard from Patriot was: valves, springs, guides, seats, retainers, etc. are all from the good old USA. Machining and assembly is all done at their facility (in the US) by experts. It's true the castings come from China, but so do the ones from GM, Ford and others. They all have foundries in China producing castings...so what is new about that...nothing! They inspect the quality of all their raw materials (castings) just like anyone would and should. They don't use or accept poor quality castings. Then he also pointed out that the other suppliers, AFR, Edelbrock, Dart, etc. are also buying components and casting from China and other foreign countries. So be sure to ask them these same questions about their product before you order. So the truth is in the product, lets see what they are really like first hand before we say more.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM

In other words you talked to a salesman.

Quick Reply: patriot LT1 heads