LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

opti help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 PM

opti help

ok first i had to change my water pump on my 93 camaro. so while i was there i put on an opti that i though was good, i put the dowel pin in the opti and put it on the car it would not go in all the way to sit flat. so i put two screws in and sucked the opti in like that........lol now i know thats not right. so when i was done it tried to start the car and it would not start. was not getting spark to the plugs but was from the coil. so i put the other one back on the rite way and same thing no start and was getting spark from coil but not the plugs wires. when i took the first opti off i know i got water on it from the water pump removal. and the other one might have got wet sometime in the move. what i want to know is could i have messed up the timing on the car with the pin not in right. the plugs and wires are new so i know its not them and the car had a small miss at high rpm cause water was geting on the opti from the pump other than that the car ran fine. i hope i can not mess the timing up like that the pin goes in one way and one way only on both. what do you guys think
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator

93 is an unvented Opti, and isn't driven by the cam dowel pin. It has a splined shaft that engages teeth inside the hole in the cam sprocket. Do you have a vented Opti conversion?

In either case, you have to align the drive mechanism correctly. Guessing that you meant "splined shaft" when you typed "dowel pin", did you align the "odd" tooth in the drive shaft to the matching hole in the cam sprocket? If not, and you forced the Opti on by torquing down the bolts, you probalby have the splines misaligned, and your timing is off.

If you have a vented conversion with a dowel pin drive, its the same story. You can't force the Opti over the pin, because the pin is probably in the wrong hole. Major mistake to force parts together.

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg
Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
93 is an unvented Opti, and isn't driven by the cam dowel pin. It has a splined shaft that engages teeth inside the hole in the cam sprocket. Do you have a vented Opti conversion?

In either case, you have to align the drive mechanism correctly. Guessing that you meant "splined shaft" when you typed "dowel pin", did you align the "odd" tooth in the drive shaft to the matching hole in the cam sprocket? If not, and you forced the Opti on by torquing down the bolts, you probalby have the splines misaligned, and your timing is off.

If you have a vented conversion with a dowel pin drive, its the same story. You can't force the Opti over the pin, because the pin is probably in the wrong hole. Major mistake to force parts together.

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg

i have this one http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg and yes i did force it on at first. but then i had another spline shaft and put it in rite, to where the opti sit flat on the timing cover. the shaft only goes in one way in both holes i did learn that but dont know why it will not start now i know it is in rite.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

While it may appear the splined shaft can only go in one way, NUMEROUS people have managed to assemble it incorrectly, without forcing it. You have to verify that it is assembled correctly. Just because the Opti seated doesn't mean you have it right. Maybe you damaged the cam sprocket when you forced the splined shaft into it incorrectly.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM

While it may appear the splined shaft can only go in one way, NUMEROUS people have managed to assemble it incorrectly, without forcing it. You have to verify that it is assembled correctly. Just because the Opti seated doesn't mean you have it right. Maybe you damaged the cam sprocket when you forced the splined shaft into it incorrectly.
How would you go about fixing that? and how do i know when the spline shaft is in the cam sproket and the opti right cause i must have it wrong if the car dont want to start. i cant see both opti being bad.

Last edited by sick9lt1; 06-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Administrator

When you put the splined shaft in the back of the Opti, you should have looked at the splines and matched them up. When you assemble the Opti/shaft to the cam sprocket, you have to look at where the slot is in the cam sprocket, get the splined shaft in the matching position, and hold the rotor so the shaft can't turn as you insert the splined shaft into the cam sprocket.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 AM

When you put the splined shaft in the back of the Opti, you should have looked at the splines and matched them up. When you assemble the Opti/shaft to the cam sprocket, you have to look at where the slot is in the cam sprocket, get the splined shaft in the matching position, and hold the rotor so the shaft can't turn as you insert the splined shaft into the cam sprocket.
i did do that when i had the opti out of the car i put the shaft in the motor and liner it up with that to where it went all the way in. the i took it out knowing where it needs to be and turned the opti rotor where i needed it to be. then i put it back in the motor and put on the opti. no turning the opti at all it went rit on. if i messed up the cam sproket how would i fix taht or can i.

Last edited by sick9lt1; 06-17-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 PM

need some more help here guys thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

My thought on damage to the cam sprocket was that it might have made it easier to assemble it with the spline in the wrong position. If you are convinced the spline is correctly aligned, it isn't an issue, and doesn't need repair.

Have you flashed the codes on the SES light, to determine if there are any being set?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM

i dont have anything to do that with. i know i have it on there rite but just no spark to the plugs what ealse can i try. oh and will the car start with the water pump andd belts off. and that black box under the intake off.

Last edited by sick9lt1; 06-17-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

All you need to flash the codes on the SES light on a 93 is a paperclip... surely you have one of those.

http://shbox.com/1/dlc2.jpg
Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 PM

All you need to flash the codes on the SES light on a 93 is a paperclip... surely you have one of those.

http://shbox.com/1/dlc2.jpg
lol i dont know but i will see
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 PM

ok i sis that and all it dose is flash pause flash flash over and over dose this mean no codes?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Administrator

I thought it was pretty clear from the description in the link... it flashes the "12" code 3 times to indicate you are in diagnostic mode. If there is nothing other than "12" you have no codes.

Now all you have to do is figure out why you have spark at the coil, but not at the plugs. What's in between the coil and the plugs - the coil wire and the Opti. Check the coil wire. What Opti did you install? Did you loc-tite the rotor screws before you installed it?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 AM

I thought it was pretty clear from the description in the link... it flashes the "12" code 3 times to indicate you are in diagnostic mode. If there is nothing other than "12" you have no codes.

Now all you have to do is figure out why you have spark at the coil, but not at the plugs. What's in between the coil and the plugs - the coil wire and the Opti. Check the coil wire. What Opti did you install? Did you loc-tite the rotor screws before you installed it?
no but the screws are tight and the coil wire is new. and i put the same opti back on that was on th car. but it might have got wet when i took off the water pump idk. i guess i will have to get new opti and see if it works.