LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil pan gasket help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:09 AM

Oil pan gasket help

Are there any tips to installing a new oil pan gasket with out lifting the engine?

I have the pan dropped, but between the flywheel and the K-member the pan won't come out. I was thinking of running a wire chothes hanger across the side edges and pulling the gasket back with it while someone else feeds the gasket in from the front.

Any help to make this a simpler task would be awesome.

Thanks

Joe

Oh, by the way I have an automatic transmission, if that helps any.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:05 AM

Arrow Re: Oil pan gasket help

If you have an A4 all you have to do is jack up the motor.

If you have an M6 you have to jack the motor up and drop the K member about an inch or so.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:12 AM

Re: Oil pan gasket help

Don't mess with that job - been there, done that. Just jack up the engine (if it's an A4) and do it right. You'll be much happier in the end, even though it's a PITA.

Greg
Old 07-19-2004, 11:26 AM

I have a 6speed and i didnt drop my kmember or lift my engine. I had my ypipe already off so im not sure you stil have to take it off. I have mac headers and with the ypipe on it seems i still might have enough room. WIth my 6speed i have enough room to drop the pan and pull the gasket off, and then from under the pan put the new on.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:32 PM

I have an A4 and just replaced my oil pan gasket. You don't have to jack the motor up or drop the k-member. Clean the surface real good, slide the gasket between the k-member and the bottom of the pan(put a towel on the k-member to keep dirt off of the new gasket), then all you have to do is pull each side of the gasket up onto the pan. It is very easy and you don't have to lift the motor or drop the pan. Just make sure to clean the surfaces of the pan and block and try not to get any of the trash in the pan. The old gasket should come right off without tearing. I did mine this way and it was alot easier than I thought it would be. I think I had to remove the starter too.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:59 PM

With my M6 there was no way of getting it off with out jacking the engine up and dropping the k memeber. I guess it's kinda the same thing as some people having more trouble with LT headders than oters.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:39 PM

where do you "jack" up the engine at? I was under the impression that the only way to raise the engine was with an engine hoist (which I don't have). If there is a way to jack up the engine, that would be great. I just don't see where to position the jack on the engine.

I do need to drop the pan, because I believe that there is some junk in there that needs to be cleaned out the right way.

Thanks for the help so far,

Joe
Old 07-20-2004, 12:43 AM

When I did my pan gasket I jacked the motor up by the crank hub, not the balancer, by using a 2x4 piece of wood, not sure it that is a good way of doing it but it worked for me. Once engine is jacked up use some wood blocks between motor mount and K-member so if engine falls you wont loose a finger or hand.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 AM

Yeah, I have heard that you do have to raise the motor and lower the k-member on M6's, but on the A4 you don't have to do that. If you are taking the pan off like you mentioned, then you will most definately have to raise the engine.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:24 AM

I replaced my pan gasket without doing anything but dropping the pan as far as it would fall. I cleaned the pan and block with MEK to degrease it and slit the gasket on a diagonal about midway on the driver's side to put it on. I put ultra copper on both sides of the slit and it doesn't lead a drop. I've been told that you can pull the gasket over the pan without even cutting it-I'll try that if I ever do it again.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:02 AM

Did mine about 3 weeks ago.

Used a Felpro gasket. Dropped the pan (came down about 2"). Pulled old gasket and cleaned the pan and block as best as I could. Slid new gasked up under the pan and cleaned any gunk off the gasket from sliding it between the pan and K member. Then just slipped each corner over the pan and on she was.

Was really pretty easy that way. Hardest part for me was getting proper torque on a couple of the bolts that are right under the K member.

'95 T/A M6 with MAC shorty Headers. Not sure if the headers make it easier or not.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Just dropping the pan a little would be easier, but not being able to see what, if any, junk is in the pan is my problem with taking the easy way out. I need to completely remove the pan to clean it out to protect it down the road if not for just a little piece of mind in knowing that no junk is going to mess up all the work that I am doing right now.

I would hate to get this heads and cam swap done and something get into my engine and cause me to completely ruin my entire engine.

Thanks

Joe
Old 07-20-2004, 11:56 PM

If you honestly think you already have some debris in the oilpan, then that sucker needs to come off.

The only way I can think of it would be to rent an engine hoist for the day...lat time I checked it's like $18 for 3 hours or $38 if you need it the whole day (here in San Antonio anyway). Get the car on some ramps for ground clearance and hoist the motor up as much as you need to/can.

Last time I did my pan gasket, I did it like these other guys - very carefully cleaning as I went and had to slide the new gasket between the pan/block...then give some slack to get underneath the oil pickup.

Good luck man!