LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil filter (gasket) problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I think he's just pointing out that your title is misleading, since it appears to comdemn the STP filter - not looking for a "thank you". I've seen other brands stick. Checking to make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter is really "oil filter 101". But by posting your experience, its helpful for others.

I'll change the topic for you.
Yeah I agree maybe the thread title was misleading. Being I had not ever heard of or seen this problem, my initial instinct was the filter was of cheap material. It is a no-brainer if the gasket sticks, to take off old gasket, but easy to bypass if you not looking for it. Another misleading point is that the new filter gets tight upon install , just like any other oil change.

In my case I usually drop my filter in the oil pan and it does not get looked at until I haul off oil.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Thank you Fred.
I guess you and me misunderstood each other. I really was not saying that it was solely an STP filter defect from the get go. The title wording could have lead you to believe that. I think you think I was looking for somebody to blame, but it was just shock value of it happening along with me wanting to tell everybody here that cares about their engines. That being said I "Manned up" long before I even got the computer to type anything. Ultimately it is me who is responsible for making sure things are done right.

Originally Posted by cnorton
For what it's worth, this is not a particularly rare problem. I ran into it over 40 years ago just after GM began to use spin-on filters on small blocks. Usually, the whole gasket sticks to the block and the leak is less dramatic and not as sudden but it has the same outcome - all the oil on the ground. I've seen it happen on several different filter brands. I can't pinpoint a specific reason for it although I believe that over-tightening the filter can contribute to it happening. It is aggravating but once you're aware of it, it's not too tough to check the filter that comes off to make sure that the old gasket is where it belongs instead of stuck to the block.

In retrospect, I'd much rather check the old filter and wipe down the sealing surface than go back to the days of the canister filters with the little skinny gasket that had to be carefully fit into a small groove between the block and the adaptor.
Yeah I have a 1992 BMW 3 series beater, that has the canister style filter housing that uses a O-ring. It is a pain sometimes.

I can guarantee I overtightened the filter most likely, because I am afraid of vibrating loose. I have had some loosen in the past, and leak.

Last edited by Dave1980; 03-10-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Overtightening a filter is another good trick. Get that baby stuck on there and mangle it trying to get it off. I'm telling you now...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cnorton
For what it's worth, this is not a particularly rare problem. I ran into it over 40 years ago just after GM began to use spin-on filters on small blocks. Usually, the whole gasket sticks to the block and the leak is less dramatic and not as sudden but it has the same outcome - all the oil on the ground. I've seen it happen on several different filter brands. I can't pinpoint a specific reason for it although I believe that over-tightening the filter can contribute to it happening. It is aggravating but once you're aware of it, it's not too tough to check the filter that comes off to make sure that the old gasket is where it belongs instead of stuck to the block.

In retrospect, I'd much rather check the old filter and wipe down the sealing surface than go back to the days of the canister filters with the little skinny gasket that had to be carefully fit into a small groove between the block and the adaptor.
D@mn.... you must be almost as old as I am

Yes... I learned about the problem when I worked (part-time) for 10 years in a 3-bay service shop back in the 1950's/60's and changed a half-dozen filters a day. Quickly leaned to inspect the block, make sure the gasket came off with the filter, and wiped down the seating surface. Always remembered to wipe some oil on the new gasket. Always remembered to start the engine an let the oil warm up, checking the drain plug and the filter for leaks before dropping the lift.

But I don't think I've seen the problem in the last 10 years.... but then I only do a couple filter changes a year.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 PM

I had a Fram and the rubber seal was coming off when I opened the box. I now check them before I start my oil change. I had it for a couple years so it might have dried out.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
D@mn.... you must be almost as old as I am

Yes... I learned about the problem when I worked (part-time) for 10 years in a 3-bay service shop back in the 1950's/60's and changed a half-dozen filters a day. Quickly leaned to inspect the block, make sure the gasket came off with the filter, and wiped down the seating surface. Always remembered to wipe some oil on the new gasket. Always remembered to start the engine an let the oil warm up, checking the drain plug and the filter for leaks before dropping the lift.

But I don't think I've seen the problem in the last 10 years.... but then I only do a couple filter changes a year.
Grandpa always told me that after three-score and ten, you're on borrowed time so I'm only buying green bananas one at a time these days.

I had a filter gasket stick to the block just a couple of months ago so the experience was fresh in my mind when this thread kicked up.

No one knows it all but the right three or four guys can come up with a lot of information if they pool their experiences.

c