LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil filter (gasket) problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM

Oil filter (gasket) problem

Hey guys not sure if this is in the wrong section, but I have to tell you guys this just in case.

Today I changed my girlfriends oil in her car at my parents house. (I have changed mine for the past 12yrs without a hiccup btw) After changing filter and tightening up, I added the oil as usual. I went back inside BSed with parents and all that.

Later that night we get ready to leave and we go out to start car. She has a wrench warning light, that needed to be reset (oil change light) so it delayed us from leaving driveway. Next thing you know the effing oil light came on! The red lamp caught my eye right before pulling out.

I get out to see almost all 5 quarts on the driveway! I am thinking at what point did I screw up in my mind at this point.
After checking filter tightness and oil plug I was baffled for a moment, until I saw where the large amount of oil residue was around filter area.

Turns out after pulling filter off the old gasket had remained stuck to engine block from the previous stp filter. So basically the new oil filter was piggy backed on the old oil filter gasket. (I usually slightly lube each seal on filter beforehand, so not sure how this happened)

So all in all make sure that your filter gasket/seal comes off with filter. I have never seen this before, but I could have cost an engine if not careful.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 PM

I always wipe down the surface where the filter tightens down at, so if I don't see the metal I know there is a problem. I am just guessing but I would think only a small amount of oil (1+ quarts) would leak from this. Most of the oil is in the pan and the filter holds less than a quart. I am not saying it didn't happen but it seems strange that much oil would leak from 2 gaskets being on there.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by mrmint69
I always wipe down the surface where the filter tightens down at, so if I don't see the metal I know there is a problem. I am just guessing but I would think only a small amount of oil (1+ quarts) would leak from this. Most of the oil is in the pan and the filter holds less than a quart. I am not saying it didn't happen but it seems strange that much oil would leak from 2 gaskets being on there.
Thats what I would think but I found out first hand, that they dont seal. Maybe they were not matched perfectly when they mated to each other. I noticed the bottom side of the stp gasket was not the same as top portion also. I also think your misunderstanding, the engine was running at the time when oil leaked out.

Last edited by Dave1980; 03-09-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 AM

Happened to me in my wifes lumina same thing except I went to the store and happened to look in the rearviw mirror to see a trail of oil following me. Stopped it and had it towed back all because of one lil gasket lol. I always check for that now.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 AM

Not an STP problem though I don't think I would use an STP filter.

The gasket just stuck and you failed to notice it, simple as that. Man up, learn from the mistake and move on.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Not an STP problem though I don't think I would use an STP filter.

The gasket just stuck and you failed to notice it, simple as that. Man up, learn from the mistake and move on.
Oh please, I accept responsibility. I know what happened, just have never seen it after several oil changes in my day. Not only that but posted on the net to let others know about it . It might or might not be an stp specific problem, I really dont care. You can rest assure that I will be checking for a gasket from now on. All in all I posted for others to be informed, to prevent the same mistake. (especially on LT1 cars)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1980
Hey guys not sure if this is in the wrong section, but I have to tell you guys this just in case.

Today I changed my girlfriends oil in her car at my parents house. (I have changed mine for the past 12yrs without a hiccup btw) After changing filter and tightening up, I added the oil as usual. I went back inside BSed with parents and all that.

Later that night we get ready to leave and we go out to start car. She has a wrench warning light, that needed to be reset (oil change light) so it delayed us from leaving driveway. Next thing you know the effing oil light came on! The red lamp caught my eye right before pulling out.

I get out to see almost all 5 quarts on the driveway! I am thinking at what point did I screw up in my mind at this point.
After checking filter tightness and oil plug I was baffled for a moment, until I saw where the large amount of oil residue was around filter area.

Turns out after pulling filter off the old gasket had remained stuck to engine block from the previous stp filter. So basically the new oil filter was piggy backed on the old oil filter gasket. (I usually slightly lube each seal on filter beforehand, so not sure how this happened)

So all in all make sure that your filter gasket/seal comes off with filter. I have never seen this before, but I could have cost an engine if not careful.
I always check this, 99.9% of the time putting some oil around the seal will save you from this (in your case it never as you said). I also do not use STP filters however I figure it was more of a one time thing. Glad you figured it out.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Oh please, I accept responsibility. I know what happened, just have never seen it after several oil changes in my day. Not only that but posted on the net to let others know about it . It might or might not be an stp specific problem, I really dont care. You can rest assure that I will be checking for a gasket from now on. All in all I posted for others to be informed, to prevent the same mistake. (especially on LT1 cars)
That's just something people should know to check. You found out the hard way to check for it but your tale of woe might help someone else without experience. After cleaning the driveway of all that oil, I bet you never do that again
Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Oh please, I accept responsibility. I know what happened, )

Then you should look at changing the thread title shouldn't you?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
That's just something people should know to check. You found out the hard way to check for it but your tale of woe might help someone else without experience. After cleaning the driveway of all that oil, I bet you never do that again
Yeah no kidding. I guess I dont share the oil change experience with too many people. Never heard of it before.

Originally Posted by bombebomb
I always check this, 99.9% of the time putting some oil around the seal will save you from this (in your case it never as you said). I also do not use STP filters however I figure it was more of a one time thing. Glad you figured it out.
Right right, however I stated that I do that everytime. I just never before heard anybody mention that this could ever even happen, nor did I know it was possible. Just passing along the info.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Then you should look at changing the thread title shouldn't you?
Ok whatever , you got me there. I am not saying it is a stp only problem. In my case it was. I dont get were your going with your advice. Do you want me to say thanks or something?

Last edited by Dave1980; 03-09-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator

I think he's just pointing out that your title is misleading, since it appears to comdemn the STP filter - not looking for a "thank you". I've seen other brands stick. Checking to make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter is really "oil filter 101". But by posting your experience, its helpful for others.

I'll change the topic for you.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Right right, however I stated that I do that everytime. I just never before heard anybody mention that this could ever even happen, nor did I know it was possible. Just passing along the info.
I know, and I said
(in your case it never as you said)
I either misunderstood you, or you misunderstood me haha. My point was, even though I know you did put oil around the seal, that it still stuck.

Hopefully this never happens to me because when I am under there I can not see anything I am just feeling around I do check for the seal on the filter however.

Last edited by bombebomb; 03-10-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
I know, and I said
I either misunderstood you, or you misunderstood me haha. My point was, even though I know you did put oil around the seal, that it still stuck.

Hopefully this never happens to me because when I am under there I can not see anything I am just feeling around I do check for the seal on the filter however.
This was my mistake, as I checked for the seal on the filter and sure enough it was there, well half of it anyways. The other half was stuck to the block, it was not an STP, and I always half fill my oil filters and run some around the lip

Now I not only inspect the old filter but I also wipe down the housing and then prelube and fill the new filter. My mistake only cost me a towing bill, which was alot (not as expensive as moytor damage tho) considering it was my boneheaded move lol but it also made me very aware to pay more attention to everything I do, no matter how many times I had done it before, or how simple it seems.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Thank you Fred.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 AM

For what it's worth, this is not a particularly rare problem. I ran into it over 40 years ago just after GM began to use spin-on filters on small blocks. Usually, the whole gasket sticks to the block and the leak is less dramatic and not as sudden but it has the same outcome - all the oil on the ground. I've seen it happen on several different filter brands. I can't pinpoint a specific reason for it although I believe that over-tightening the filter can contribute to it happening. It is aggravating but once you're aware of it, it's not too tough to check the filter that comes off to make sure that the old gasket is where it belongs instead of stuck to the block.

In retrospect, I'd much rather check the old filter and wipe down the sealing surface than go back to the days of the canister filters with the little skinny gasket that had to be carefully fit into a small groove between the block and the adaptor.

Quick Reply: Oil filter (gasket) problem