LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Odd stalling issue, hard misfire, starting..please assist

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 PM

Red face Odd stalling issue, hard misfire, starting..please assist

Well been trying to track down a problem I have with something I believe to be ignition related.

I've done the searches and know that I need to look at a few key components (opti, icm, coil) along with the wires and plugs.

The car will cruise just fine but then develop a very very slight loss of power at cruise but will develop into an all out bucking bronco with what feels like total engine power is lost and then restore. This happens many times. Sometimes I'll drive the car for 50 minutes..no problems, sometimes will travel 15 minutes and it will act up. When it stalls, I will try to restart and it will just crank. However, I've sometimes pumped or even floored the throttle while cranking and it will fire. It still acts up but then appears to clear up with a few restarts and will drive fine for a bit.

Checked for vacuum leaks, wires arcing or burnt and nothing is evident. Fuel pressure is where it should be and doesn't dip when this occurs. No SES light but then again I'm tuned so I'm curious if some of these were disabled?

Put a multimeter on the coil and was getting 6500 ohms but may not have tested it properly. I was unable to properly test the opti or icm since my multimeter did not have the appropriate ends to get to where it needed.

I think I have a lot of the "simple" things covered and it sounds like its a heat issue but why would it clear up after waiting maybe a couple minutes and then it running with no problems? I also beat on it on the way home and again...no issues lol.

-brian
Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 PM

i would replace the coil and opti, those suckers can cause alot of weird crap. its probably your best place to start. if you can have someone with a laptop or a tech 2 ride with you amd monitor all the sensors when this happens.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 PM

trying to avoid replacing the opti but hey...if it is the problem then its the problem. Any other ideas?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:29 PM

i just had the same problem and it was that my throttle body was loose. i also cleaned my maf sensor so that may have helped too. i noticed that my car was doing the same thing, i took off my map sensor on the top of the intake and it looked really black. working on these cars is as fun as getting a root canal. also you can spray carb cleaner around the top of the motor to check for a vac leak, it worked for me so just give it a try.