LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Not wanting to start right away

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 PM

Not wanting to start right away

I have a 97 Lt1
My problem is that when I go to turn the key it doesn't want to start right away , it takes a few cranks before it want to turn over like that gas isn't there yet.
It never did this before the fuel pump went bad and I had to change it. I no the second pump isn't bad because I took it back and got another one when it did the same. (think that second one was bad) anyone got any ideas thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 AM

Did you change the whole fuel pump assembly as a unit or just the pump itself? It sounds as though you only changed the pump. Which sounds like you didn't fix the problem with the sticky check ball in the assembly. Which is allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank as it sits when it is not running.

You can monitor it to see if that is the problem with a fuel pressure gage. Or....

Try KOEO for 5 seconds or so. Then key off. Then KOEO for 5 seconds. Do this 5 or 6 times the next time you go to start it after sitting for a long time. Then finally start it. It will probably kick right over at that point.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Yes , I just changed the pump, and Yes I think the problem is that the fuel keep draining back into the tank so what is it that keeps the fuel from doing that , do I need to buy a whole need assembly. turning the key to the on spot for a few seconds does help most of the time. Some one else told me that it might be a relay , do you think it could be that.

Any Help is Appreciated
Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Hey dude im in kuwait right now and i know its a sad story but for a year i went to dealerships and garages and they told me fuel pump, fuel regulator, intake manifold leak and **** like that, which some of it didnt make any sense. I wound up buying two pumps also. Anyway it would always take about three seconds or so for it to start up, would not run fast of efficiently at all, and would surge if i would try to speed up. I even went through a complete change out of the egr system would could also cause this. One morning before i started my car i turned the switch over but did not turn the car over and this is when the pump actuates for three seconds putting pressure in the lines. I then heard a hissing sound from the back come to find out i had a fuel line leak right above the fuel pump container on one of the fuel lines. I tested this by turning the key to accessory about three times without starting the car just letting the pump build pressure and then i would turn the key the fourth time and it would start right up. That leak was causing the pressure to bog down whenever i killed it so it would take a second whenever i tried to start the car cause its building that fuel pressure up to hit the injectors and i think thats whats happening to you. This is not the most accurate way to test it thought so i bought a fuel pressure tester that connects right to you fuel line that runs over the intake manifold to the injectors. Just hook it up turn the key over letting it build up pressure and then turn the key off and see if it looses pressure. It will looses about 12 psi and then its supposed to stop but when i performed my test i went from forty two to thirty two about normal. And then it started dropping by about ten psi and was empty in about thirty seconds and thats not right i think its supposed to hold about 32 psi until you turn the car over again to start it. I dont remember the exacty psi readings but you can buy a haynes manual and it shows you step by step on how to do this. I would type it down but im overseas and do not have the book with me.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by cccfrrr
Yes , I just changed the pump,

Some one else told me that it might be a relay , do you think it could be that.

Any Help is Appreciated
Thanks
No. Buy a pressure gage and monitor the pressure when you go to start it.

Then decide if you need the entire assembly.