LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Not running after opti Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:37 AM

Re: Not running after opti Change

^^That is where I would be looking also. Bad opti (a few are infamous for it right out of the box even MSD's, there are plenty of post on the LT1 forums), incorrect install position or easiest a bad/incorrectly run plug wire(s). The Opti install position sounds like it could be off IMO. Strange things happen, like a intake gasket going right after doing the opti, but I'd start by ruling out the opti install completely first.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Whats up everyone. Well more bad news driving my car today it totally died again like it did before and it's the opti again. I'm gonna clarify to all my post. I did many opti changes on friends and family cars, timing seals timing covers gaskets water umps you name it,I had my opti out in less than 2 hours including draining the coolant so when it comes to doing optis or anything in the front or top part of an lt1 I can do it blindfolded and tied. Sorry if I sound like an ******* but I'm mad at my car never had these problems and it died again on the street. I posted before bout the exhaust smell was because all the dtc I was getting and it was all on the driver side. The opti I had before and replaced with were Delphi optis brand new from the parts ladi. First one lasted bout 20 k this one new in box I had for a few years stored unopened lasted less than 300 miles. I'm gonna just let the car sit for awhile and than work on it again I'm just so pissed right now. Btw I appreciate and thank everyone on this site for helping me. Just gonna walk away for a bit
Old 09-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Have you actually check the outputs from the opti? I mean at the opti connector, not at the ICM input. When checked at cranking speed, using an ordinary multimeter set to the 12vdc range, pin A should be about 1 vdc with a lot of variation. Pin B should be about 2 vdc with a lot of variation also, but that output is not important for the engine to run smoothly. These are tested with the cables all attached.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:47 PM

This name---> parts ladi, if I'm not mistaken has been linked with selling generic opti's as the "real deal" if I'm not mistaken....I may be wrong on that....but I think I read that long ago.

How much did this Opti cost you?

Rockauto has Delphi units for ~$278. Anything less than that and I would worry if it's the genuine article.

Last edited by ACE1252; 09-09-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:57 PM

I never heard of that before could be why there not on ebay. But a few years back so many people bought opti from the parts ladi. But it wouldnt surprise me if it is true. As far as the testing on harness all good, I bought from racetronix along with fuel pump awhile ago never had a problem with any product I got from them. Im just gonna let it sit still mad, I'll get back to it in a bit. I will check rockauto I bought lotta parts off them for many cars.good place but hate the fact if you order a few parts they come from different warehouse's and states

Last edited by Bxlt1; 09-08-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 PM

At the time i got those optis price was bout what rockauto charges now for vented opti.when we ordered it was 4 of us we got 2 each free shipping little bit of a discount for so many
Old 09-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Administrator

I never heard that about thepartsladi.... but she did fold up and disappear with some people's money, and not shipping the order.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM

I think thepartsladi left also for awhile was the go to for optis.so far out of all of us that got I'm having these problems. Everyone else I know have put thousands on these optics no problems what so ever,like I said before the vacuum hose some how got loose and killed this one,I did take it apart and was dirty evidence of moisture in etc.... But this one brand new unopened bout 300 miles and died lol I guess I got the bad bunch
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I never heard that about thepartsladi.... but she did fold up and disappear with some people's money, and not shipping the order.
That may have been what happened. It's been a while and I could have my wires crossed on what went down. I do remember some people were not very happy with that seller.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:45 PM

Hello everyone once again I want to say thank you for all the help and support as figured the opti crapped out,took it off quickly and sure enough the damn bearing went so much for new in box anyway,besides rock auto opti that I hope are Delphi and are of quality are there any other places that sell good opti's ? Summit ,jegs maybe eBay trying not to buy from there unless its reputable and quality. Thanks again
Old 09-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Delphi from Rock Auto is the best bet, unless you find the Delphi for a cheaper price from a reputable company.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:54 PM

amazon also has the delphi optis. just in case you have a gift card or prime membership.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:47 AM

I checked both rock and amazon I probably will go amazon since I'm a prime member.im just worried obviously about the quality it sucks being stranded,we all know how that feels lol. Thanks again everyone
Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 AM

This is a good read for me. I've been chasing this goofy *** issue in my car (randomly dies) for a year + now.

Not to be a jerk, but it's nice to know that even though I installed a known Delphi unit, it very well may be dead now after reading through this thread. I believe I have about 600 miles on it total. I started having issues Damn near right out of the box though, I probably only put 80-100 miles on it before it died randomly one day.

I guess I need to do the opti diagnostics and see if it's bad.

I hope you've had time to put yours back together and it's running again Bxlt1.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:55 PM

I'm building a new engine for my 97 and I want to put a new opti on is the MSD billet opti any good? The opti in the car is working fine right now 134K miles though, will my stock unit with a MSD cap and rotor kit be ok or should I just get something else?