LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Z28 owner..have few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 AM

New Z28 owner..have few questions

Hi everyone, i've been looking through the forums for a couple weeks now researching but this is my first post..i just picked my Z28 yesterday. I've been driving around mustangs for the last 4 yrs (98 GT and 97 Cobra Vert) so this is like the other side of the world for me but i think its going to be a fun change, very different car and more moddified already then my mustangs were. I just was wondering if you guys could help me out and answer a couple questions for me, i'd appreciate any help.

1. what is the deal with this skip-shift thing? its driving me nuts already and it's only been 2 days. How do i eliminate it and is it easy to do?

2. i really don't car much for the stock shifter and was wondering what the good and bads are of the short-throws available, which one do most people tend to go with?

3. might sound nuts but i was wondering if it was actually possible to decrease the boost on the powerdyne supercharger on the car from 6 to 4 1/2. I am just concerned about putting alot of strain on the LT1 over time even though i will most likely baby this car.

4. i was really suprised as to how tame the exhaust sounds. Considering its supercharged and has all exhuast mods it seems barely lounder then a stock lt1. Don't get me wrong, it's got a mean growl to it and sounds great just really really quiet. what could be the reasoning for it, is it possibly just that the cat is that restrictive even though its a hi-flow cat or maybe im just used to off-road set-up on my cobra.

5. i'll probably be going to the track once or twice this summer and was wondering what kind of 1/4 mile times i should expect with the set-up i have.

Thank you in advance for any help
Old 06-08-2003, 05:55 AM

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the DARK SIDE

1. Yes you can get rid of the skip shift. If you look at some web sites like www.thunderracing.com or www.racenet.net they have a kit (basically just a harness plug) that you plug up and it takes it away. You can also find them on www.ebay.com

2. As far as shifters there are really 3 brands that everyone goes with. These are the Hurst, Pro 5.0, and the B&M ripper. I have had all three and the Pro 5.0 is by far the best in my opinion.

3. As far as I know yes Powerdyne has a 4.5 lb pulley that they sell. You can buy this and switch them out to run the smaller boost. If it was me I wouldnt worry about the 6 lbs cause really that isnt too much more strain on the motor than the 4.5 will be.

4. I think you are just used to the deep sound of the Stangs. The LT1 really isnt loud till you give it full throttle and then it sounds really good, but the in between is a little bit less than the Mustangs.

5. Really dont know about the times but I would say you should be in the lower 12s to high 11s and maybe even mid 11s. It all depends on how you drive.

Hope this helps out a little.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:54 AM

Thanks for the info, definitely helped. I'd appreciate any other info or suggestions if anyone would like to add anything. Another question, there is an in-line 200lph fuel pump that was installed with the supercharger less then a yr ago and there is a constant whining the entire time while driving, not real loud but noticable especially when the windows are up and the radio is off. Is that normal or is it ready to die already with only 5K miles on it?

Last edited by RiceEaterZ; 06-09-2003 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:39 AM

Maybe your Borla isnt opened up all the way. Just something simple you might have overlooked.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:06 PM

No thanks, i think i'll be keeping the borla . The whole set-up on this car including the supercharger is very quiet, it's good for the sleeper effect .
Old 06-09-2003, 02:14 PM

You want mean & loud (and still sounding good)?? Go with headers, no cat & dynomax bullet muffler that dumps before the axle. That's what I got and I get compliments let and right on it...
Old 06-09-2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by RiceEaterZ
Thanks for the info, definitely helped. I'd appreciate any other info or suggestions if anyone would like to add anything. Another question, there is an in-line 200lph fuel pump that was installed with the supercharger less then a yr ago and there is a constant whining the entire time while driving, not real loud but noticable especially when the windows are up and the radio is off. Is that normal or is it ready to die already with only 5K miles on it?
im having the same issue with my Holley pump. It started about 5 days after install so your 5k would be great. I have been threw 3 stockers and now this Holley doesnt like me either! Thanks god! I found out that I have a restriction in the stock CPI 4.3L motors lines. They dont have a prime so they have a check ball in the return line. Anyway, check your return and your stock regulator,if its still in there, for a restriction somewhere. Could still be the pump and the check ball going out.