LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New owner of an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 08:05 AM

New owner of an LT1

Hello everyone. I just bought a 1994 Lt1 engine and auto tranny. It has 90000kms. I removed my V6 motor but didn't install the LT1 yet. I would like to know any suggestions I should do to the motor before I install it in my car. I don't want to do any major engine work like heads or cam but maybe just any general maintenance while I have the motor out. I do have some minor mods now like 3" B&B triflo exhaust, headers, SS Hood with ram air, and 3.73 rear end. Is there much work in putting new rocker arms for a bit more HP gains? Should I go with a larger throttlebody with these minor mods? Is there any free mods I can do to the motor to free up some HP. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:40 AM

Re: New owner of an LT1

Go with a 52mm tb. Headers! Other than that good luck dropping it in.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Administrator

While its out of the car..... new plug wires, new plugs, check all the harness connectors for corrosion and bent pins.

Remove EGR valve and clean it and the intake manifold where it mounts. If you plan to delete EGR, this is the time to get the blockoff plates and install them.

Check the oil pressure sensor at the back of the block/intake manifold for damage... hard to replace when its in the car.

Examine all freeze plugs for leaks. Check water pump weap holes for signs of leakage (which will damage the distributor and cause major problems).

Check the rear of the manifold, where it mates to the topof the block for oil leak.... very common, particularly on the passenger side, where the EGR riser tube is located.

If you are really after any possible problems, pull the Opti (requires removing the water pump), and check the cap and rotor.... look behind the metal interior cover for signs of excessive rust and a worn bearing.

If you want to delete the AIR system, this is the time to do it. Much easier to remove the aluminum pipe that runs under the oil pan when its not in the car.

Also a good time for headers. Much easier at this point. If you decide against headers, at least check the studs in the exhaust manifolds to make sure they aren't broken - hard to replace when the engine is in the car.

When you install the engine, "bypass" the coolant that would normally go to the throttle body.... worth a quick 6HP.

Check all the external sensors for visible damage - knock sensor, coolant sensor in the water pump, and another in the driver's side head, low oil sensor.

Remove the throttle body, and if you aren't replacing it, strip it and clean it thoroughly - top cover, IAC passages, IAC motor, blades, housing. Replace all gaskets.

Polish the fuel rails and top of the intake manifold with aluminum polish. General engine cleaning, but be sure to keep ALL water away from the OptiSpark distributor.

Check valve cover and oil pan gaskets for signs of leakage. Way easier to replace the oil pan gasket when its not in the car.

Check all injectors for o-ring damage.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:16 PM

good check list.

good job mods.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 PM

Thanks alot for all the info. I felt stupid asking a question like this but you were very helpful. Now is the time to do everything since it is out of the car and easier to work on.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Eck

Don't know if you'd actually want to do this, but just throwing out suggestions:

Might want to consider replacing the optispark. It WILL eventually fail, and it sucks doing it while the engine is in the chasis. Mine crapped out at 94k.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:58 PM

Now would be a great time to pull the pan and check the main and rod bearings as well as replace the oil pump for cheap insurance. If there is any sludge buildup on the pan or on the pickup screen, clean all of that off and run a couple treatments of auto-rx (www.auto-rx.com) when you get the car running.

Jason
Old 01-28-2005, 10:15 AM

Do you mean just replace the optispark with a new one?