LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New to the Forum and in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Re: New to the Forum and in need of help

I haven't had a chance to install it yet, due to my truck being down I've been depending on my car to get me around. I just recently got my truck fixed, hopefully here in the near future I can install it and see. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Both tommy and I agreed in the beginning that it sounded like the optical sensor was bad. Hopefully that's it! Of course now I find a Chinese one that works perfectly! �� Go figure right?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:02 AM

Subscribing. I recently installed an MSD Opti and am seeing the idle surge issue as well. It's very inconsistent, and I don't have any logs available at this point, but it started immediately after installing the unit.

Has MSD discovered a problem with their optical sensors? If so, I should probably look into getting mine in while it's under warranty (Dec. 2016 purchase.)
Old 06-29-2017, 01:17 AM

In this case yes, the optical sensor was bad right outside of the box. You would really want to go through what injuneer wanted me to do, for example the scans, and send him a data log as confirmation. One question that I have is did you make sure to clock the distributor correctly? Because that can cause something similar, but has more prevalent back firing.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BLUEDEMON95
I haven't had a chance to install it yet, due to my truck being down I've been depending on my car to get me around. I just recently got my truck fixed, hopefully here in the near future I can install it and see. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Both tommy and I agreed in the beginning that it sounded like the optical sensor was bad. Hopefully that's it! Of course now I find a Chinese one that works perfectly! �� Go figure right?
Any change in status? Have you been able to reinstall the "repaired" MSD unit?

From comments from someone else with the same problem on ltxtech.com appears MSD changed to a new optical module AND revised the cap. MSD told him the problem was being caused by "noise" messing with the module. I suspected that was a possible cause, possibly from changing the dielectric material on the cap, and documented that in the thread on ltxtech.

Unfortunately after the effort we put into identifying the source of the problem, and you returning the defective MSD Opti to them for testing, they have never communicated directly with me, and have never offered any explanation for public consumption. Not very professional. I really think if it wasn't for us they'd still be selling crappy distributors for $450 a pop.

Anyway, let me know what has happened.

Thanks.