LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

need help troubleshooting A/C clutch compressor hook up

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 01:14 AM

need help troubleshooting A/C clutch compressor hook up

I recently had a problem with my A/C Compressor hookup. The wires were burnt on my exhaust manifolds. So I attempted to splice the wires. Everything seemed to be hooked up correctly but nothing worked. Me being a moron I thought I did something wrong so i started snipping and slicing looking for voltage and stuff. Then I figured out that it was the fuse (I'm an idiot sometimes). So it worked fine for a couple of days, then stopped working again. All the connections were still good so I pulled apart the wire tubing so that I could trace the wires to see if they were bad somewhere else. Just a few days ago I heard from shoebox that there is some kinda fuseable link or something that prevents surges from the compressor to feed back. I did not incorporate this back into my hookup. I'm assuming that this is the small black tube that has a looping wire in it. I'm really not sure how it works. So I pulled out my voltage regulator and started probing to see if I could get some readings. The two green wires that run to the compressor before the small black tubing have no voltage when measured together, but when grounded individually they both show .03 volts. Obviously this is not enough to actuate the compressor, so it is not kicking on. When I manually attach the compressor to a voltage source, i.e. one wire to the positive battery terminal another to a grounded bolt, the clutch engages. Where do the wires run to from the compressor and what do I have to replace since I just ran the wires from the compressor straight to the two green wires in the wiring harness? If I trip the pressure switch and manually run the compressor clutch the system seems to operate normal and blows cold air. So it has to be a bad connection or something was fried whenI hooked it back up. Where do those green wires run to and what would in worst case scenario need to be replaced. By-the-way, the fuse has been checked again and is still good. This can be confirmed by the fact that my cruise control works again. Thanks for any help. I'm about to go on a long trip to S. Florida and it would be great to have A/C while down there....
Old 05-24-2003, 06:01 PM

Any ideas guys?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:47 PM

There is some of the wiring diagram here .

I think that was a 3 amp diode that I mentioned and is shown on the wiring diagram just before the clutch. Don't think the absence of the diode would keep it from working.

Have you swapped out the a/c relay? Swap it with your fog lamp relay for a test. They are the same.

Another idea is to reset the pcm. I have read posts that after working on the system when the pcm had disabled startup of the compressor, that you need to reset the pcm for it to work again. Not sure if I got that all correct, but worth a try.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:19 AM

thanks for that diagram, I think I found out what I did wrong. The two green wires are supposed to both go to the positive side one wire is the supply and the other is for the pcm to know weither it is engaged or not. I had one green wire to the positive and one to the negative. I believe if I hook this up correctly and ground out the other wire then reset the pcm and throw in another relay just to be sure.... it should work. The pcm may have just been letting it run for a couple days to diagnose itself, then killed it due to the fact that it was wired incorrectly, I may have had the pcm feedback wire disconnected. Anyway, thanks again for coming through shoebox, as usual you are the man.