LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help....nothing but problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 05:51 PM

Unhappy Need help....nothing but problems

Ok so over the last few weeks my car has been undriveable, and Ive tried to fix it with no luck. The story is like this....

So one day when I get home from work I shut the car off with no problems. So I go out to start it a couple hours later and its running like ****, I'm like WTF. After consulting several people, I come to find out its the water pump, its was definately leaking a lot out of the little hole. Over this time I never drove the car more than a few minutes at a time to and from a couple friends shops, making absolutely sure it doest overheat. So I get to changing out the waterpump one day, everything went as planned. Started the car up to check everything out, then shut it down to start bleeding the system. We drive the car outside the building and lots of white smoke starts coming out the exhaust pipes. Again I'm like WTF! I try to bleed the system, and let the car heat up to see if its something like that. No luck, car just starts overheating and still puffing out white smoke. So I talk to a few more people, confim their thoughts talking to people on various boards, including this one, and come to the conclusion that the new water pump probably overpowered the aging intake manifold gasket. So this week I spent several days changing out the intake gasket. I let the car sit for two days after to allow teh gasket maker time to seal properly. Then I go out and start it today and much to my dissappointment, the same thing. She starts right up, and begins puffing white smoke! I am going crazy over this and was hoping to have my car on the road before leaving to school in 2 weeks, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone have any idea what else could be wrong?? Im almost ready to say screw it and rebuild the engine. Is ther any way that a line on the waterpump could be backing up into the engine? I have tried bleeding the system and have yet to see and liquid come out. Could the thermostat be malfunctioning and causing the system to back up into the engine? I could use all the help you guys can give. Thanks for reading my story, I mean post.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:32 PM

First off, who the hell told you to replace the intake manifold gasket?? There are no water passages there, I don't see any way that could cause coolant to get into the combustion chamber.

However, I had a similar problem a few months ago. I noticed that coolant was "disapearing" from the radiator, then I noticed some white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. If this is what's happening to you, I'd bet that you have a blown headgasket. Especially since the motor may have been run hot a few times.

John
Old 08-29-2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by FastZinTennessee
First off, who the hell told you to replace the intake manifold gasket?? There are no water passages there, I don't see any way that could cause coolant to get into the combustion chamber.

However, I had a similar problem a few months ago. I noticed that coolant was "disapearing" from the radiator, then I noticed some white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. If this is what's happening to you, I'd bet that you have a blown headgasket. Especially since the motor may have been run hot a few times.

John
I second that.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 PM
Administrator

One more vote for the head gasket. Drain your oil and very carefully look for contaminants.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by gb95zconv
I second that.
i second that second.

good luck.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:57 PM

I second the second second and the first second as well, same thing happend to me. Blown head gasket or at worst a cracked cylinder or block (yes happend to me too!). Good luck.. hope its just the gasket...
Old 08-29-2003, 07:02 PM

Ive checked the oil so many times over this process, but I guess tomorrow I'll go and drain the oil so I can get a good look at everything in there.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:42 PM

Would a bad thermostat make the coolant get in the engine somehow?
Old 08-29-2003, 10:03 PM

No. There is two ways coolant will get into your combustion chambers. The most likely is a blown headgasket, the other way is to have a crack somewhere.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:08 PM

ughhhhhhhhh.............. this is NOT what i needed before college.....................