LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:46 PM

need help

ok i have a 95 z with the lt1 of course was an 4l60e so i decided to do a t56 swap now on futher discovery i put every thing back together and i went to hook the battery of and the starter wants to try to start the car without the key even in the ingition can any body help me please.

PS idk if its starter wiring i had the motor trans and steering column out of the car for the whole swap so idk i looked every where jus need some advice.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 AM

Re: need help

recheck the wires on the starter... its possible when you tighten the nuts on the starter the wires turn and will touch each other... then when you hook up battery it automatically turns the starter over
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Administrator

You may have the wires from the ignition switch shorted together.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_95.jpg
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You may have the wires from the ignition switch shorted together.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_95.jpg
i think it is something with the ingiton switch but i dont even kno where to start
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Looking at the wiring diagram will show you the circuit that activates the starter.

Somehow, there may be 12V getting to the "START" wire (yellow). Check to see if there is some point where the red wire from the battery to the ignition switch is shorted to the yellow wire from the "START" position of the switch.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Looking at the wiring diagram will show you the circuit that activates the starter.

Somehow, there may be 12V getting to the "START" wire (yellow). Check to see if there is some point where the red wire from the battery to the ignition switch is shorted to the yellow wire from the "START" position of the switch.
ok well if it helps i ordered a new engine wiring harness the other day and still same results so i guess it is in the switch and idk were to start cuz when it comes to wiring dirgrams is like a whole diffrent language but i appreciate the help
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Then take it to a good electrical shop.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 AM

you check the wires on starter? when you tighten the little wire it can reach the 12v wire to the battery... which then give it 12v and automatically tries to start. ive done it.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 AM

I've seen a bad starter solenoid do this at least once. Maybe the starter was dropped while it was out and damaged something. Like camaro350z28 said, check the wires at the starter and if that checks out OK, remove the purple starter wire and hook up a test light to it and hook the battery back up. Does it light up? If you think it's the ignition switch, disconnect the switch, does the test light go out. If so, your switch may be bad or misadjusted. If the light still stays on, you'll be looking for a short.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 95TA04GOAT
I've seen a bad starter solenoid do this at least once. Maybe the starter was dropped while it was out and damaged something. Like camaro350z28 said, check the wires at the starter and if that checks out OK, remove the purple starter wire and hook up a test light to it and hook the battery back up. Does it light up? If you think it's the ignition switch, disconnect the switch, does the test light go out. If so, your switch may be bad or misadjusted. If the light still stays on, you'll be looking for a short.
ok well well i got a meter from work and and tested the purple wire to the starter and the ingition switch is unplugged and when i put the battery the purple wire is gettin 11.6 volts and the switch and key are off so that means there is a wire crossed right
Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sammccoy1990
...... so that means there is a wire crossed right