LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

in need of a 10 or 12 bolt rear end where to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 11:35 AM

in need of a 10 or 12 bolt rear end where to buy

I have a modified LT1 with a supercharger. my rear end is toast. was wondering if anyone purchased either a stock rear end new, or a 12 bolt for their f body and where they got it....the price etc..thanks for your time

Steve
Old 12-31-2004, 11:39 AM

Re: in need of a 10 or 12 bolt rear end where to buy

TByrne usually offers a GP on Strange 12-bolts about once a month it seems. Check out the GP page.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:43 AM

thanks for info
Old 12-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Administrator

You would be foolish to buy a new stock 10-bolt. Go for the 12-bolt.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:42 PM

The 10 bolt is garbage and not strong enough for even a stock motor. buy a 12 bolt or 9". Like said above check the GP section and do some searching. If you install it yourself read every post you can about it not that its hard but there are a few details you need to be aware of.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:11 PM

ya i know but..the car isnt a top priority at the moment..i have other financial concerns..if i could get a stock replacement for half the cost..it would have to be somethin id consider....what i gather so far a 12 bolt is approx 2 g's?

Steve
Old 12-31-2004, 02:26 PM

A new 10 bolt wouldn't be that much less from GM I bet. You can always pick up a used one for $100-$200 depending on if it has brakes and what gears are in it. If you are going to replace though you may as well upgrade, find a used 12 bolt for $1200ish. Rear ends don't usually just crap out like an engine/tranny so a used one wouldn't be bad. If it does happen to go its most likely gonna be something inside the pumpkin.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:00 PM

after adding up all the little things a 12 bolt is going to be atleast 2500-3000 . But atleast you wont have to worry about blowing it up

what kind of trans do you have?? how much power are u making and what kind of mods do you have??
Old 12-31-2004, 04:16 PM

its got all the bolt ons p600b 12 psi ati blower 3 core in the nose 1.6 rolller rockers comp cams pushrods custom cam per rskrause specs, the heads have a 3 angle valve job, its a 355 approx 9.6 to 1 powerforged pistons scat crank headers stainless dual cat y pipe flowmaster cat back msd 6al 52mm throttle body im sure im leaving things out..just blirting this all out at the top of my head...the motor has just a few hundred miles on it..we had alot of little nagging things that were happening...car is still buggy...then the rear end gives us problems...so..since...starting modding the car i got a house etc...ideally id get a 12 bolt..i just want to get the damn car running its a weekend car i live in ny...so it doesnt get driven alot or beat on....its got a system in it..it was never considered to be a track car..dragging it etc...

Steve
Old 12-31-2004, 05:32 PM

If you arent racing it, and arent putting sticky tires on it, a used 10 bolt will be fine IMO.

If you plan on ever getting traction with it (drag radials, slicks etc), 9 inch or 12 bolt is needed.

Biggest thing is if you want ABS or not IMO. That will really guide your decision. THe moser 12 bolts need shortened driveshafts, the strange dont. Either can be had with ABS. 9 inches will eat up a tad more power, but are a tad stronger. If your car has traction control and abs, you can get the 9 inch to have abs too. If you just have abs, the 9 inch will not be able to retain it.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:48 PM

With your setup i wouldn't put a 10 bolt in. Look at it this way if you can get a 10 bolt up and running for $500 and in a few months it blows again (which it most defiantly will) then you’re going to have to spend more money to fix it again or then buy a 12 bolt. Or you could just buy the 12 bolt or 9" now an save money in the long run. I blew my 10 bolt to hell with a STOCK motor I’m sure that most board members will agree that if you put a 10 bolt back in with your mods its only a matter of time before it blows up again and I don’t mean years I mean months or maybe even days.

If you do go with a Moser 12 bolt I have to worn you about the drive shaft. After reading many posts on here I came to the conclusion that the stock drive shaft had to be shortened by about ½” which I did. This caused the drive shaft to be too short and vibrate very badly at any speed over 65 mph. It took me a while to find out what was wrong because everyone said that the DS had to be shortened so I knew or thought I knew that it was the right length from what I was reading. After trying a few different things I ordered a DS from LPE which was STOCK length and the vibration finally went away. I have had this setup for over a year and everything is working great. I don’t know why everyone on here told me to shorten my stock drive shaft. Not trying to say that they are all wrong but for me and some one else who has that same setup on a 2000 TA the stock DS worked just fine with no modification. I guess some need it and some don’t just be careful.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:15 AM

i understand what you guys are saying.. and i agree im not one to half *** anythin but.. man some dude quoted me $300.00 for a 96 lt1 stock rear with abs and traction control...i'll pay a few hundred to install it...im a hack i wouldnt trust myself...to do it..... im guessin im in for 700.00 to 1000.00 for a stock used replacement..its 2500.00 or so for a good 12 bolt no labor... im still undecided its just ...im in a pickle heh..im tryin to pay down plastic debt if i wasnt id just charge the damn thing and get it over with...i apprecate all of your posts.im going to ponder this for a few wks heh..if i can get this done out on the cheap and have the car stay together for a yr even while i work the bugs out of it.and perhaps dyno it...it will be worth it....its just right now i really cant afford to drop 3 g's to get the rear end right but im itching to at least drive it a little its winter in ny but it was 55 degrees out just yesterday..i guess if life were to easy it wouldnt be worth livin heh....donations anyone lol...

Steve
Old 01-01-2005, 06:05 AM

A new 10-bolt makes no sense. If you want to get it back on the road cheap, get a used 10-bolt and take it easy. Otherwise, get a 9' or 12-bolt. A new 10-bolt will be very expensive, just not worth it. If there is someone good who is local to you, you could have yours rebuilt.

Rich
Old 01-01-2005, 12:00 PM

I'll sell ya my 10-bolt with 3:23s. I am having a 12 bolt made right now. If you are interested send me an email and we can talk more bout it.
Ryan Brown
rb58mx@hotmail.com
Old 01-01-2005, 12:48 PM

i agree a new 10 bolt isnt worth it.. but my father is retired gm.. employee supposedly they get some huge discounts on parts like upto 44 percent off....i just want to get back up and running im a bit leary lately of having someone work on the rear end id rather just remove it and be done with it.i guess i'll explain what happened with the rear end..heh the pinion gear was out of place for some reason i brought it to a dealer 2x to fix..they ended up screwing it up more...the rear end locked up on me driving it home one day..it was makin wierd noises.....long story short i got refunded...but they ****ed up the rear end worse than it was....if i can get a used 10 bolt around here and pay someone to just put it in ..id feel better about it..oh and just want to say thanks rskrause so far...the car has few hundred miles on it..pulls strong..thanks for cam advice hope to get it dynoed and tuned better in the spring

Steve

Quick Reply: in need of a 10 or 12 bolt rear end where to buy