LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

MSD opti/opti problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM

MSD opti/opti problems??

before i put the msd opti in i had no spark and when hooked up to the scanner it wouldnt read any rpm when trying to crank.fuel pressure was good and no codes.it just wouldnt start just kept cranking and cranking.

my engine builder and i came to the conclusion that the couple year old stock opti was bad.we just put in a msd opti and the car started and ran...as soon as i pick up the car from the builder i drive it down the street fine...then the car shuts off while i was accelerating and wont start again!..no spark.

does anyone know what could cause this problem to occur??
the opti was installed by pros and the msd piece looked bulletproof..**** for 500 bucks it should be.the msd opti even had its own vaccum line and an extension for the sensor hook up.the car is a 94 Z28 with a built motor but nothing insane just forged 355 with afr 210 heads and a 224/230 cc cam.any insight is def apreciated..im just getting so fed up.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Seeing as it breifly had spark I would start checking wiring, BUT the MSD opti is NOT bulletproof, it is vastly more failure prone than stock. The problems are well documented but those who made the mistake of buying it will swear it was a good choice even as they walk you through rebuilding it, and telling you how MSD sent them a new one and such.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM

ive had mine in for over a year now, it was installed in april of last year and i have had no problems so far...

what condition are your plugs and wires ?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM

the plugs and wires are in great condition.

how is the msd opti more prone to problems than the stock opti?i mean just read the caption under the msd opti on summits site and they adress all the problems that the stock one had.not only that didnt they even won an award for their opti in 03 or 04.just doesnt make sense.

of all ppl trashing msd right now it should be me but something is eating up my optis no matter what kind it is.i just need to know what would be responsible.wiring is something i ll def go over.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Rotors fall off, timing screw has no "index", timing adjustment parts do not move freely when timing screw is turned.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Optical sensors fail, internal parts rub etc.

Had one blind believer tell me it was a magnetic pickup, than again his complete lack of knowledge explains how be buiolt a blown stroker slower than my car.

Thing with the MSD is something was lost between the fake imaginary world of BS put to paper for marketing and the real world.

Was a King of the Hill eposode on the other night you may find quite informative. Hank was using the same car saleman for 20 years all the while thinking he was getting a screaming deal paying "sticker".
Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 PM

good info.what has me stumped is how the opti can crap so quick which is why im wondering if something else is messing the opti up.

if the msd,accel,gm opti is all ****...what are the other options??

i know of the delteq but you still need the opti and it still needs the optical sensor to work.this f'in thing is just taking the wind out of my sail.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Delteq is pretty much out of business. You would be crazy to even consider a Delteq. What's wrong with a vented GM Opti? What about the Dynaspark?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 PM

damn injuneer ive only been out of the forum loop for a couple years and missed so much..
i remember delteq came out and that was another option ppl were doing.damn i guess their system did blow.i ll check out the dynaspark.
i just dont know how the msd opti can be worse than a gm vented one.i mean the msd was even vented.f'n sucks
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 AM

how would msd just say they used advanced optical encoder with a billet body and an extra cap bolt.or a drive assembly indexed to shaft and a hefty ball bearing good to 10,000rpm and an adj timing mechanism with a heavy duty cap and brass terminals and be lying about it

all those things are obvoius improvments over the stock opti so how would someone know its a pos

that sounds to me it would last alot longer than a oem opti which leads me to believe something else is breaking my opti...considering the opti didnt even last a day
Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM

I feel your pain man. I bought one of the first ones that came out. I installed it, ran it for a about 20 miles, but who's to say it's not taking a crap on me right now. Judging by all the other cases of failures I'm sure mine will be on the way out shortly after I get my up and running again. Which also means I'll have to buy a new cap/rotor off of msd in order to repair mine, along with replacing screws, and adding whatever else is needed to make sure it works properly the second time around. It sounds like msd ran to the market with their product WAY too soon prior to do enough testing of the opti. I would do some more testing on the car to determine if it could be anything else and then take the opti off again. Once it's off do all the needed repairs to the product to insure that you wont have any catastrophic failures on it like others have had on this site. Later dude-Ryan
Old 06-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ledfootz28
how would msd just say they used advanced optical encoder with a billet body and an extra cap bolt.or a drive assembly indexed to shaft and a hefty ball bearing good to 10,000rpm and an adj timing mechanism with a heavy duty cap and brass terminals and be lying about it

all those things are obvoius improvments over the stock opti so how would someone know its a pos

that sounds to me it would last alot longer than a oem opti which leads me to believe something else is breaking my opti...considering the opti didnt even last a day

they also have better connecting points, i dont see why you guys think they are bad, yes they are more pricey but worth it in the end
Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM

well i dont reallly think it makes sense to do the msd cap and rotor on a msd opti thats not even a couple miles old.i dont know how warranties work with parts like this but if it comes down to it i will fight for my money back...i ordered it through summit a f'in week ago,lol and i still have the reciete.. and theres gotta be some sort of warrenty.if it is the opti im def not going with msd..that would just be retarded.. i was checking out the dynatech one which is even more at 600 bones
Summit better refund my damn money.
i ll keep u guys updated.

any more insight or experience as to what can destroy an opti so fast is def appreciated
Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 PM

ever thought to get a new icm?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ledfootz28

All sounds good, but their implementation of those things and quality control was not so good. You can't only go by their claims. For the money, you would expect perfect performance and bullet proof operation. Unfortunately, the potential is still being realized. With all the problems, not worth the price.
IMHO, a genuine GM/AC-Delco/Delphi opti is about the best bang for the buck right now.

Quick Reply: MSD opti/opti problems??