LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

msd opti and fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:16 PM

msd opti and fuel

after putting on my msd opti, msd blaster coil and 8.5 wires, is there a fuel shortage with all the spark? meaning should i put bigger injectors in and fuel pump? thers also a hypertch chip. the car doesnt run very strong since i did all the spark work like a miss. 93 z28 a4
Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM

No ignition parts changes will not make you have to change fuel system stuff.

If you are having problems it is probably because you have made a lot of bad choices. The MSD opti is bad, much less reliable than stock and easy to mess up the timing, coil was simply unnecessary, Hypertech is usually called HyperCRAP. slower ETs at the track are well documented.

The wires are OK though so long as you route them well.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM

no you do not need to upgrade fuel for those mods

if its not running right i would go over the spark plug wires again to make sure you did not mix one up

also check it for codes

and i recommend you put the information about your car in your sig so you dont have to type it every time
Old 05-02-2010, 02:30 PM

well the msd opti is fine i know guys with 11 second z's with the msd so thats entirely untrue. the wires are not mxed up. vats fuel enable and tcc module were the two codes. 93 z28 a4
Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator

How did you adjust the timing on the MSD Opti? No graduated markings on the unit. Did you loc-tite the rotor screws since they are know to fall out? Are you sure you have the splined Opti drive shaft indexed correctly to the cam sprocket?

Did the problem exist BEFORE you made all those changes? If not, why did you make them?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:40 PM

a shop did the opti and gm performance water pump, it leaked on the original. it ran like a beast before that with a chip and wires. trans went on me a month before that and i replaced it with a built 700r4 from monster performance.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM

The timing adjustment on the MSD optis is known to be tricky. If you're unknowingly running too advanced or retarded on your timing, it will hurt your HP.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator

If it runs "like a beast', it has to have more than the chip and the wires. What are all the modifications you have done, that produced the major power increase? Unless you provide all the info about the engine, its hard to offer anything more than generic responses, rather than suggestions to solving the problem that are specific to the modifications.

Appears it ran great with the chip and wires. Then you had a shop do the Opti, and someone changed the coil. Would seem that the problem has to be the result of those two changes. Might want to bring the problem to the attention of the shop that installed the MSD Opti, since you don't know how they addressed the known problems with it.

In the meantime, swap a stock coil back in, and see if the problem goes away. Check the Opti harness connectors for corrosion or bent pins, or a missing locking clip. Scan it for codes, since there are two specific codes for problems with the Opti's cam position sensor, and those codes don't turn on the SES light.

Finally, what is the specific increase in ET?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM

i am going to make this suggestion one more time

if you accidentally swapped a wire sometimes it is possible that it will run well, just not quite "like a beast" so i highly recommend checking them

also as pointed out the timing adjustment on that opti needs to be checked, and its pretty sad that you did not check with us first to know about lock tight on the rotor screws

and like injuneer pointed out, if the shop worked on it and now it does not run right, why are they not fixing it?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

My Caprice runs 11s with a stock opti so f-bodies running 11s with a $500 "upgrade" means nothing.

Always suspect the most recently messed with parts.

If it does run like a "beast" then that "monster" of a transmission will soon go out on you. They might be the worst current online vendor for this transmission.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 AM

yo thanks. you guys just bashed me rather than help your all a bunch of dorks. i come on here for help with my car. you live on this message board. get a life u nerds. ps your cars are all fake your caprice is prolly an old cop car with 200,000 miiles on it. junk injumeer is a stuck up *****. im goin to another forum.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 AM

the information you got here was excellent and i guarantee would have fixed your problem if you had listened and followed our instruction and answered all the questions

and just so you know.. we are such nerds without lives (as you put it) that we are members of just about every other board., after your silly temper tantrum here i highly doubt you will get any help elsewhere, then again you dont really need it - i am sure the answer is in this thread

Last edited by dangalla; 05-03-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 AM

i asked nothing about lock tite. i told u my wires arent swapped. u didnt help that shop sucks i dont go back there
Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 AM

by the way that motor in your picture isnt in a car. nerd
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by bobhorn15
yo thanks. you guys just bashed me rather than help your all a bunch of dorks. i come on here for help with my car. you live on this message board. get a life u nerds. ps your cars are all fake your caprice is prolly an old cop car with 200,000 miiles on it. junk injumeer is a stuck up *****. im goin to another forum.
You asked for help and opinions, and that's what you got.

Quick Reply: msd opti and fuel