LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Motor Oil question!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM

Used Mobil 1 5w-30 for the life of the vehicle. When I tore down the engine for my new engine build I still had factory crosshatch pattern on all 8 cylinder walls, perfect measurements for cylinder out of round, taper, and bore. All the bearings had little to no wear except the front cam bearing, and there was not one ounce of sludge anywhere. 132,xxx on the engine. Although I'm still playing around with what thickness oil I want to use in this new build, a stock engine did pretty well using Mobil 1. Personally that's what I would use.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM

I use to use Mobil1 5w-30, but switched to Liqui-Moly 0w-40 for all season protection..

http://www.liqui-moly.de/web/lmhomeu...es/index_flash
Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by slomarao
If you talk to the old timers they will talk very bad about 5w-30 oils. Well at least the guys i have run into over the years have.
I run 10w-30 and 40 depending on the seasons. If i had to pick one it would be 10w-30. Thats why i would use if i were you.

All the additives and other BS is junk. Dont run it. Most likely it will not cause any direct issues but the repeated use of it may. If your thinking about syn. oil and have over 75k on the motor dont do it. Still with the cheap stuff.
I'm probably an "older" timer than anyone you've talked to, and I've never talked bad about 5W-30. Many years ago, the wider the viscosity range on multiple viscosity oils, the faster they lost that multi-viscosity rating. But modern oils, particularly synthetics, do not have that problem.

The only difference between a 5W-30 and a 10W-30 is the flowability at cold engine temperatures. Helps reduce wear on cold start. Once the engine reaches its normal operating temperature, they both behave the same.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 PM

Of all these replies maybe 2-3 show signs of having any clue what they are talking about. As said this stuff has been discussed and the very few of us who actually understand anything on this topic have tried to help.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BMD18
Hi i am about to change my motor oil and i am wanting to put some good oil in it! I heard about royal purple and i am wanting to know if anyone knows whats in it like what are some of its qualitys. Also on my oil cap where you put the oil in it says SAE 5W30 but my dad has always put in 10W30 and he said he does that because it has a lot of miles on it so should i stick with the 10W30 or go with the gm recommendation??? Also would it be ok to put in Lucas oil Stabalizer with the royal purple or does royal purple have there owen stabalizer????????

Thank you !!
My dad swears by Mobil One. He is a ASE certified GM technician and he works on mostly Corvette's and new Cadillacs....He swears by Mobil One and he says that ALL the camaro's and corvettes need to be run on Mobil One because they run so hot under the hood that regular junk oil will have thermal break down.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by derrickgott007
My dad swears by Mobil One. He is a ASE certified GM technician and he works on mostly Corvette's and new Cadillacs....He swears by Mobil One and he says that ALL the camaro's and corvettes need to be run on Mobil One because they run so hot under the hood that regular junk oil will have thermal break down.
And there is the PROBLEM, he is basing all his comments on marketing NOT on measured independant data which is available for those who care enough to look beyond the lies saleman tell them.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Thumbs down

Do we really have to get into the usual "CamaroZ28.com" version of the oil wars again? The same old "my oil is great but your oil sucks" bs.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Problem is a lot of people don't have a clue, and make statements that they can't back up with technical facts and data, or that demonstrate they don't even understand the topic.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by derrickgott007
haha i guess he saw the commercial on tv. I've been using 5w-30 (non synthetic and all kinds of brands)and have had the car for the last 30,000 miles (now at 95,000) When I recently tore my engine down there was a crapload of engine sludge that i've cleaned out. I maintain my religiously but not sure what the kid before me did. I would have thought that even if the previous owner didn't change the oil much, and then I did very frequently, that the sludge would slowly start to get cleaned up.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 AM

I ran mobil1 synthetic blend 5w-30 and had no problems with it. No sludge anywhere, but then again never tore anything completely the motor down. But the heads, lifter valley, intake, and top end is fine. I recently switched to valvoline durablend or w/e its called. Idk which is better though.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Used Oil Anaysis is the only good test we have, are any of you posting opinions based on the results of such??
Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
And there is the PROBLEM, he is basing all his comments on marketing NOT on measured independant data which is available for those who care enough to look beyond the lies saleman tell them.
There is no reason to be a dick....He (My Dad, an ASE MASTER TECH and 100% GM class complete Tech) is speaking from YEARS and YEARS of experiance working on Corvette's and Cadillac's and years and years of tear downs and rebuilds on thousands of engines... He swears by Mobil One and says that the wear on engine internals is way less when mobil one is used instead of JUNK bulk oil that people get at quick lubes.

I've seen for myself the difference between parts run 100,000 miles on conventional oil and syntetic. There is a giant difference.

But opinions are like a-holes, everyone has their own.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Used Oil Analysis is MEASURED results not someone visually looking at parts. You and your Dad looking at parts is an opinion. Used Oil Analysis is MEASURED DATA, For a LONG time M1 had very high iron readings when used in LT1s, bearings might look fine but they are not made of iron are they, but since bearings look fine and there is no sludge all must be wonderful right??

I do not tend to use expensive oils myself. The reason I pop into these threads is to get people to understand the difference between opinions/marketing and MEASURED DATA.

I have pulled apart LT1s at in excess of 150K and found them to look wonderful inside and somehow I doubt many police stations are using M1, likely just a bulk oil.

Those who actually look at measured data endup liking what they see in Castrol Syntec 0w-30 specifically labeled "made in germany" this shows the best measured results in this engine an often the LS motors as well.

I am NOT saying M1 is bad, I am saying it's reputation as "best" is based on arketing and opinion rather than measured data.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 PM

So is castrol syntec the best oil for the lt? Just curious
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Specifically the Castrol Syntec 0W-30 labled "made in Germany" was showing the best results last I looked into it. Put it this way there were lots of guys stockpiling, like guys with 60quarts just because they stocked up whenever they found it because the results are that good.

Let's throw another wrench in the works, would you all believe this oil is a good bit thicker than the M1 5w-30? If that confuses you then you do not have enough knowledge to present any information on the topic and stick to researching and asking questions.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil question!!