LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Manual Fan Switch???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:01 PM

Manual Fan Switch???

Ok maybe I jsut dont know what to search for when searching, but I cant find anything on the topic.
I found a site at one point that had the instructions, but can no longer find it.

Someone please help.

Also when using it at the track, I put the car in the "on" position first right? how much will this help cool the car down, last time at the track it was running close to the last line befor the red line, and it wasnt even that hot out yet.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:08 PM

When I searched for "manual fan switch" I came up with 4 pages. What exactly is the question? Instruction on how to wire or use? At the track I just leave that thing on until the lights start. You can probably leave it on, but I am the type that thinks it takes away from the hp. I have high, stock, and low presets on mine. When my switch is on high, it never goes past the 1st line, even at the track on a hot day. You may try having your radiator flushed if it is not helping. Other than that...

JOHN
Old 05-26-2003, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by pennys58
When I searched for "manual fan switch" I came up with 4 pages. What exactly is the question? Instruction on how to wire or use?
Lots come up, but they are not really what I'm looking for. Installation is what I am looking for. I figure I have to wire into a relay of some sort somewhere, but have no idea past that. or how to get 3 speeds like yours.
So how to wire is what I'm looking for, its for a 96 too, if that makes any difference.
I'm fairly new to wiring a car too, I'm sure I can figure it out, but the simplier the better.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:24 PM

http://www.fbody.com/members/safbody/faq/coolfan.htm
Old 05-26-2003, 11:53 PM

Is it an slp? Mine is an slp. There are 2 connectors on the passangerside above the wheel well. The part that comes with it goes in between the one that it fits into...it will only fit inbetween on...not sure which one. Disconnect the male and female connections and then put the after market one in between the two connecting the new male to the female and vice versa. Make sure the battery is disconnected first. Then just do a ground , I put mine on the wheel well plate that the shocks go to. Then I just ran the switch across to where my alarm goes in throught the fire wall and mounted it in my ash tray. I'm not sure which one your is, mine is was like $60 with the 3 settings. I'll tell you something, it is truly a good investment imo.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by cooker93redz
http://www.fbody.com/members/safbody/faq/coolfan.htm
Personally, I don't like that method (it's just me ). One benefit is does have, is that it will usually not cause a SES for the fans being on when the pcm has not turned them on.

http://users.oco.net/xero/fanmod/ seems to be popular and utilizes the relays instead of bypassing them. To keep the SES off when you want to run the fans with the engine on, you will need to use this diagram that adds the 47 ohm resistors. With this method and a 1996-97 car, the key does not have to be ON to switch the fans on. Just be sure you remember to turn them OFF.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:06 AM

shoebox, thanks, thats the one I found befor but couldnt find again.
Is there a way to make it so that it WILL only run while in the "on" position? I'd hate to kill my batery by leaving the fans on, or would it take quite a while for it to kill the battery?
Old 05-27-2003, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Xride
shoebox, thanks, thats the one I found befor but couldnt find again.
Is there a way to make it so that it WILL only run while in the "on" position? I'd hate to kill my batery by leaving the fans on, or would it take quite a while for it to kill the battery?
If your battery is in good shape, it wil take a while to drain the battery from what I have read. 96-97 fan relays are provided constant power from the battery (pre 96 are not). To make them go off with the key, you could rig an extra relay spliced in to the relay power feed or reroute the relay power feed to an "ON with ignition" source. Some people like it that you don't have to turn the key ON to run the fans.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:40 AM

I used the same webpage Shoebox recommended and I wired it to an accessory point on the fuse block. I have a '95, but I wanted to do this anyway. Check out my webpage for an alternate mounting position! BTW, when I had mine on at the strip, I ran it until I was ready to do my burnout, and I never got above 185*