LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Maintenance Before a Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 04:25 PM

Maintenance Before a Tune

Planning on getting a re-tune on my car in the very near future, ordered an all new set of NGK TR55's and 30lb "blue demon" injectors from Fuel Injector Connection. Getting a custom tune through Solomon with his cable loan method for both injector sizing and a few other odd things. Point of the thread, what items could be replaced prior to a Tune that would help information accuracy or if anything at all? My knock sensor looks a little rough and older so I was thinking of taking the chance to replace it just before. Would this effort be in vain? Any thoughts or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Grant
Old 07-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Re: Maintenance Before a Tune

The condition of the knock sensor will not affect the way he tunes the PCM. He has to assume the knock sensor is the correct one, and reacts the way a stock sensor reacts. He isn't going to change the tune because you think it's rough and older. He just sets attack and decay rates, and retard.limits if desired. He has to assume every sensor you have on the car is working and accurate. The tune doesn't change because a sensor is old or inaccurate. YOU correct the sensor if it is defective or inaccurate.

Are you supplying him with a data log?
Old 07-21-2020, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The condition of the knock sensor will not affect the way he tunes the PCM. He has to assume the knock sensor is the correct one, and reacts the way a stock sensor reacts. He isn't going to change the tune because you think it's rough and older. He just sets attack and decay rates, and retard.limits if desired. He has to assume every sensor you have on the car is working and accurate. The tune doesn't change because a sensor is old or inaccurate. YOU correct the sensor if it is defective or inaccurate.

Are you supplying him with a data log?
I understand that he will not change based upon that, my main concern was that an older sensor may present data that could possibly be less accurate than a newer sensor. Even that may be a dumb point/idea. Yes I am providing him with a direct data log from the car, not a mail order. Would you recommend any method to test a knock sensor? I'd just like to make sure it's functioning properly. I'm a bit of a noob so sorry if my statements make little to no sense.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:52 AM

OP

You should do a data log to see what the readings are of knock 02, etc. Knock sensors don't commonly fail or need replacing.

02 sensors are one that I would change if they have 100k mi on them. AC Delco only
Old 07-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
OP

You should do a data log to see what the readings are of knock 02, etc. Knock sensors don't commonly fail or need replacing.

02 sensors are one that I would change if they have 100k mi on them. AC Delco only
Ok gotcha, my main concern was with whether or not they commonly tend to fail or give false readings. If they don't, as you've said, I'll just leave it alone. Yep figured so on the O2 sensors, already replaced those bad boys when one failed about 500mi ago. How would you recommend a data log on the car? Honestly not sure if I'm willing to buy the $300-400 Jet Spectrum Tuner
Old 07-22-2020, 01:37 PM
Administrator

OBD-2 is an issue w/ scanning software. There is some help available in the free software download provided by GaryDoug: But does not pick up knock retard.

https://www.firebirdnation.com/forum...nner-software/

Only cost is the correct cable, assuming you have a laptop.

If the knock sensor fails electronically, should set a code(P0332). It's a tiny piezo microphone. The circuit is relatively easy to check, as is the resistance of the sensor. Mostly they get broken trying to remove them, or working on the motor mount.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
OBD-2 is an issue w/ scanning software. There is some help available in the free software download provided by GaryDoug: But does not pick up knock retard.

https://www.firebirdnation.com/forum...nner-software/

Only cost is the correct cable, assuming you have a laptop.

If the knock sensor fails electronically, should set a code(P0332). It's a tiny piezo microphone. The circuit is relatively easy to check, as is the resistance of the sensor. Mostly they get broken trying to remove them, or working on the motor mount.
Ok Cool, thanks for the info. Yep I've got a laptop, any recommendation on the cable? If I'm more likely to cause harm than do good in this case, I'll leave the knock sensor alone.

Thanks, Grant
Old 07-22-2020, 09:04 PM

Thinking of this cable,
https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-EX-FORScan-OBD-Adapter/dp/B081VQVD3F/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=elm327+odb2+usb&qid=1595469723&sr=8-16 https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-EX-FORScan-OBD-Adapter/dp/B081VQVD3F/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=elm327+odb2+usb&qid=1595469723&sr=8-16
, data rate (speed) seems to be quite a bit higher than the other offered ELM 327 OBD 2 devices.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:31 PM
Administrator

You need to get the cable info from the link I posted. If you need more info:

@GaryDoug
Old 07-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Forscan is for Ford vehicles only. An ordinary ELM327 cable is all you need.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Forscan is for Ford vehicles only. An ordinary ELM327 cable is all you need.
Ok gotcha, I've got the correct one on the way. Thank you so much for the info.

-Grant
Old 07-23-2020, 10:44 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Sorry, I was distracted by something else. I forgot to mention that you want an ELM327 cable that cost about $20 or more. The ones that cost less (under $12) are a bit slower and likely won't work for your car even though they claim so.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Sorry, I was distracted by something else. I forgot to mention that you want an ELM327 cable that cost about $20 or more. The ones that cost less (under $12) are a bit slower and likely won't work for your car even though they claim so.
Don't worry I didn't cheap out lol, went for a +$20 USB one with some decent reviews. Not a huge fan of Bluetooth
Old 08-01-2020, 10:07 PM

Here is the datalog. Thanks for looking over it, I can get a revised one under the conditions you'd like at any time. I also attached the mods list for reference.

Thanks, Grant
Attached Files
File Type: txt
White TA Mods.txt (937 Bytes, 20 views)
File Type: csv
DLOG-2020Aug01-1835.csv (169.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 10:27 PM

For reference the datalog is for Injuneer, but if anyone else wants to look feel free lol

Quick Reply: Maintenance Before a Tune