LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LTCC Coils Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 PM

LTCC Coils Question

I'm seriously considering doing the LTCC conversion, but had a question on the coils.

I read on another forum, that truck coils couldn't be used. Is this true? I don't see what the difference would be in a simple coil. I can get coils pretty cheap from work, but I know as soon as I mention LS1, they're gonna double in price.

Also, does anybody have the part number for the Spiro-Pro wires? I looked over at Summit, but there's so many choices, I couldn't figure out which ones to use!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 PM

I had emailed Bob Bailey a few times before I chose to go with the ltcc. He said the truck coils with the metal heat sinks on them dont work. I used ls7 coils(basically same as ls2). Full throttle racing has tech support on ltcc and could probably help with questions. I got the taylor 73151 universal set in purple. You also have to get lt or ls style ends for them. the ones I used were also from taylor. I used the straight ones as I mounted my coils on valve covers. My longest wire is 12inches so a premade set for one of the trucks would probably work too but im sure the cut to fit is a much better fit. Thunder racing sells universal sets for over the valve covers that come with the wires and ends and i imagine they would be the correct ones also.Ive posted the link a couple of times so it could easily be found on my previous posts.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Re: LTCC Coils Question

As I recall the round truck coils use some sort of weird igniter which screws up the LTCC signals. LS1 coils are more than strong enough though. I've been running a set from an 01 Vette for years on my blown car with the LTCC. Finally ditching Bob's box for a 24x kit though.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Well, that sucks!! I can find truck coils all day long, for cheap!! I guess I better make sure I can find coils, before I order the rest of the stuff!!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 PM

there are different truck coils. its the ones with the metal heat sink you dont want. like I said full throttle has tech support so I am sure you could find truck coils without the metal heat sink and check the part number.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 PM

the ones with the metal heat sink are popular upgrades for the ls guys (and some imports) so you could work a trade im sure too or make some money selling them.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 AM

Double check with Bob and see why they don't work, I can't find the post that specified the exact reason. You may just need to swap the pins in the connectors to get them to work like you do for the LS2 coils.

Also...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-73251
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-46052

Last edited by 97WS6SCharged; 03-12-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 AM

Here is Bobs email to me about the truck coils. I had some unanswered emails so I assume getting support is better through full throttle as I recomended as ive had multiple phone calls and emails answered. I also had them test and confirm my box wasn't damaged. Here is the email......... Hi,

Yes, the LTCC is still available.

The timing retard function has preset settings designed for N2O and boosted applications. The retard can be set up to be triggered, which works well in N2O applications.

There are several different kinds of "truck coils", some work, some don't. More specifically, avoid the coils with the metal fins sticking out, the others are fine.

The kit can be ordered from us by sending a paypal for 399.00 to sales@bailey-eng.com, or by using the purchase button on our web page Bailey Engineering Homepage

Regards,

Bob

Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Double check with Bob and see why they don't work, I can't find the post that specified the exact reason. You may just need to swap the pins in the connectors to get them to work like you do for the LS2 coils.

Also...
Taylor Spiro-Pro Spark Plug Wire Sets 73251 - SummitRacing.com
Taylor Spark Plug Boot and Terminal Kits 46052 - SummitRacing.com
There is a difference in connectors from ls1 and the later coils but the difference is from the coil to the harness. The ltcc is plug and play in the newer versions(I believe the older ones you had to splice wires to connect the coils) and will connect direct to the harness that plugs into the coils. I want to say the reason the metal finned ones dont work is some sort of electrical interference(I dont remember for sure as ive seen something written also). The point I am making is grab the harness for the coils also and save yourself some time hooking it up. Also beware of some of the threads with others trying to get their box hooked up because I tried something written and would have fried the box had I fired it like that(you do splice into the hot wire of the coil and the bpinout of the icm.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 AM

Bailey Engineering Homepage This is bobs site and it does mention the msd and the truck coils.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks, everybody. As usual, the wealth of info here is amazing!