LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT4 KM, which knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:50 AM

Question LT4 KM, which knock sensor?

Hello, I am currently using the LT4 KM. I am also using the LT1 Knock Sensor, is this the right setup or do you need to use the LT4 Knock sensor.

I am currently seeing alittle knock from my scanmaster.. I think its false knock... is my setup the problem?

Thanks for the advice.
Kevin
Old 10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Re: LT4 KM, which knock sensor?

There is no "LT4 knock sensor".... they used the same KS as every other 96 LT1. You need to use the correct stock KS for your particular year, which in your case with the 95 engine/PCM is the 93-95 4.5Kohm sensor.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:32 AM

Thumbs up Re: LT4 KM, which knock sensor?

Thanks Injuneer. I have a brand new KS and a brand new LT4 KM. I see 1*-3* of knock when hitting the throttle hard... sometimes it will flash quickly to 9*-12* (for a split second). The car seems strong as ever and I have running rich.. so I think its false knock. I have tried using octane booster and it goes away.

Do composite lt4 valve covers help eliminate this problem. I was doing a search and read a post or two reguarding those valve covers.

Any other reason that I may be getting knock.. I have the scanmaster.. but not really sure if I am using it to its fullest abilities because I do not know what is correct and what are bad readings.. from what I can tell by reading others posts is that everything appears normal... anything I shouild check for?

Thanks again
Old 10-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator

I'm a little confused.... you say you think its "false knock", then you say it goes away when you use octane booster. That we lead me to believe it is "real" knock.

Have you read my 25 page online guide to using the ScanMaster?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:19 PM

Is it possible to use a resistor in series with the knock signal wire?

The knock sensor sends a certain amount of voltage to the computer when noise is detected. By adding a resistor inline it would "absorbe" this voltage and no knock would be detected by the ECM.

Would this work rather than using the module?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM

You could just program in no knock retard, so it wouldnt pull timing, id think that would be a much easier and cleaner way of doing that. and if you just feel like being creative and sodering stuff you could build an AKM style cable.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:34 PM

Thumbs up Re: LT4 KM, which knock sensor?

Thanks Injuneer, StickMaster and LT4383.

I don't want to put a bandaid over a potential problem by programming out the knock value and I don't want to put a resister on unless its necessary.

I think that its false because its not always there, I tend to see 1*-3* of knock after the car has sit awhile with a full tank of gas... if I put just alittle (half a bottle) of octane booster it goes away and will come back if I let the car sit.

I have seen more then 9* of knock, but it was for a split second and its not very often I see more then 3* if at all. I had PCM4Less Tune my PCM but no help, I added a new KS and LT4 KM and that didn't make it go away, and I don't feel the car running badly when I do have knock. I have a otherwise stock motor except for some simple boltons. I have never removed the valve covers, or opened up the motor for any reason., I have 70k on my motor and less then 3k if that on everything else (literally)

I have all tubular suspension and either Poly mounts or rod ended (I do have poly motormounts too) do you think I could be getting false knock from the stiff suspension. I do not have any leaks and I am not burning oil.

Thanks again for all the help. I will check out your guide for the scanmaster Injuneer.

You guys rock!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 PM

My post was for LT4383 in answer to his question i definatly dont think that programming out the knock retard is a good idea in your case, as I dont think its false knock. By adding the octane booster and it goes away would mean that its real knock, and when it sits it doesnt get mixed up w/ the rest of the gas so you get knock again. Not sure on that. Did you get the correct knock sensor, Injuneer mentioned that their is a difference in 93-95 knock sensors and 96+ knock sensors (obd1/obd2 i guess)
Dont quote me it being real knock or not is it RPM specific at all?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:07 PM

Smile Re: LT4 KM, which knock sensor?

Thanks StickMaster. I don't see knock in specific rpms necessarily, most of the time, when I start the car I will give it a few quick revs to 3-4k (never more or for longer then a blip) and thats when I notice the knock. I also will notice some knock on occusion when I mash the peddle to WOT.. it jumps around from 1* to 4* back to 2* then to 7* then back to 1* or 0 (just a example) usually its fine with no knock recorded, its just on occusion.. and I figure it just because I let the car sit.. I have started to drive it more since the T2R install... I havn't seen any knock the last two times I drove it..

Thanks again guys, your help is greatly appricated. I don't know what I'd do without the great help of the guys on this board.

To my knowledge I ordered the LT4KM from Dal about a year ago, and when I ordered it I told him if was for a 95 LT1. So I am assuming that I have the correct one.