LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:12 PM

Re: LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11

I agree after my 5th opti swap I can do it in under an hour and a half now. From start to finish. Assuming I have all the right tools and parts.

This is my first car I've ever worked on. I just threw on a blaster coil :-D and the thing was missing really bad and the coil and opti didn't fix it. About a day later it resolved itself. Maybe I got bad gas?

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
I really don't think they are that bad once you know your way around them. Everything in there has a point, unlike some new cars with plastic all over the place.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:39 PM

I have to agree. But after pulling it apart a few times, it does get easier. I just started pulling it apart again this weekend and after about an hour, I was already cut and bleeding. Oh well, something we all love to do.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 PM

Mechanix gloves work good to minimize the mutilation
Old 04-03-2005, 09:03 PM

It's having the dang engine half under the cowl that makes it such a pain, in my opinion.

Dan
Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 PM

I've done so many things so many times to so many different cars, nothings hard on these anymore Those first 4 years or so were a bitch though !! lol

-Shannon
Old 04-03-2005, 09:21 PM

The LT1's aren't the easiest to work on...alot of engine in a minimal amount of space. After headers, A4 to T56 conversion, opti, wp and other things, I share the many cuts, bruises, and scars. After it's all over and done, with the help of all you guys posts and websites, the sense of accomplishment is well worth it. It sucks sometimes but remember, we own some bad azz cars!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 09:30 PM

A whole lotta BLOOD,SWEAT and SWEARING.....ah, Ima guy so no tears..
Old 04-03-2005, 09:48 PM

Angry Re: LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11

ha HA thats all i have to say about that....

so tonight i decided to start the process of replacing my starter motor because of the scary sounds it makes when starting up (yes, don't fix it untill it break, completely that is) but its got jet hot coated hooker shorty headers on it with y pipe and all...

ok so i'm pulling out the bolts, i'd say one to 2 every hour (total of 8 that hold it in). I started with the y-pipe to cat connection and that was fairly easy, then i moved to driver side y-pipe to header bolts... one was already loose and the other was a fairly easy break so that was that.... then i move over to the passenger side y-pipe to header connection... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... so i got one bolt out, and i can't for the life of me get anything to get a hold of the other bolt to break it loose... and it was really ticking me off till i finally just went for the 02's. driver side.. easy break loose... came right out (i plan to replace them while i have everything apart) so then i go to the passenger.. the bastard won't break loose.. so i'm laying under my car cursing to the people who put the thing in why they didn't use anti-seeze or or w.e. is wrong. sure enough. the thing strips. by this time i am agreeing with what someone said earlier in the I WANTED TO BLOW THE CAR UP (then i got my parents yelling at me about patience... ha, right, patience) lost that on the 5th bolt.

SO my arms are black, my fingers are aching/bleeding kinda open wounds and the like. and i'm stuck halfway through this wondering how the hell i'm going to finish it. sorry such a long post, but venting keeps me from poping

let me know if any of you have a clue as to what i can do to fix any of this... I'd say the headers have been on there for about 5 or 6 years from the rust on them (the y-pipe is almost completely uncoated now)
thanks again
Old 04-03-2005, 09:48 PM

Heck I love the pain soooooooo much I even "volunteer" to help all my buddies work on their LT1 cars.

Its like "Ohh man we can put the Street Twin in, in no time” or "Heck man an opti is gravy". "Shoot its only plugs and wires"

Then while your swearing away under the car, you like "Man what the #$%@ was I thinking"

As long as it is fun and there is beer, it is all better. Well, ok maybe just the beer.

Feded
Old 04-03-2005, 09:59 PM

The first thing I did to my car was change the plugs and wires.. I've done it many times on other cars and I figured it wouldn't be any different... HA! My roommate left for work at 4 and I was still working on it at 11:30 that night when they got home... My hands looked like they went through a meat grinder afterwards... NOW I know better... Before I do anything I come here and check through all the threads to see what's expected and if there are any tips... Screw the manual.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by snakethis69
i dispute that
Me too.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:52 PM

my opinion on this subject would be that everycar is designed differently and my car is whatever it is and i will do whatever it takes to get it fixed and i love cars and will work on them till my hands fall off.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:01 PM

Ijust got finish replacing the head gaskets. What a MAJOR pain in the a$$. At least I got to so some up grades. The worse part of pulling the heads was taking off the head bolts. I broke a MAC 13mm impact socket.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:05 PM

Well Iam relatively new to the lt1 movement, had a 69 chevelle with a 383 now that I have my lt1 it's just so refreshing to have so much SPACE to work lol
Old 04-03-2005, 11:58 PM

LT1 in a thirdgen...look at all this rooooooooooom

Quick Reply: LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11