LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:08 PM

LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11

NOT!

Really late April Fool's joke. I just retightened my stage 8 header bolts (after winter storage since December) for oh the 3rd time since I put the headers on and it's been a while since I worked on the car so I almost forgot the scratches, burns and bruises when it all came back today!!! On top of that, I noticed that my Jet-Hots are also starting to rust.... they're about one year or a little over old too.

Anyway, just a little vent. Today was a nice day so I got to work on her a little bit fixing minor things.

PS. When you think nothing can get worse than doing something on your LT1, it will never fail to prove you wrong and show you that it can be worseR. Everything has to be complicated on these things.

Last edited by madwolf; 04-03-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:16 PM

Re: LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11

I really don't think they are that bad once you know your way around them. Everything in there has a point, unlike some new cars with plastic all over the place.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:18 PM

I've done basically ANYTHING you can possibly do on an LT1, well probably less for body work, but just about anything else, and I still think nothing is easy on them.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:24 PM

They are definately not easy to work on. it also seems to me that you will never do anything just once. It's funny how with practice you learn how to manipulate your body and your tools to reach certain things. Sometimes it just takes some imagination. I have been working on these cars for ten years now and I've got so many scars on my hands you would think I fought people bare fisted for a living. Have fun with it because the sense of accomplishment is worth it. If you can fix these things you can probably fix anything.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:30 PM

They aren't as hard to work on as a Ford.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:30 PM

I just spent the weekend pulling mine apart to degree the cam. It was a pain and took forever working in that cramped engine bay. Anytime i get done working on it for a long period of time i think to myself it only took me 3.5 hrs to pull the motor out the bottom. I probably should of just yanked it again and worked on it with the motor out.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:57 PM

I just spent all day on my longtube install.....and guess what........no longtubes are in yet. I pulled the rear part of my exhaust and got one manifold out, but still need to get to 1 spark plug and 2 header bolts on the passenger side manifold. Tomorrow I am gonna start cutting up my y pipe since the bolts stripped out and I cant remove it from my manifolds. I am seriously so frustrated, and my entire arms are black with about 20 scratches and cuts. I sure hope its worth it in the end, cause right now I wanna just go blow my car up.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
I just spent all day on my longtube install.....and guess what........no longtubes are in yet. I pulled the rear part of my exhaust and got one manifold out, but still need to get to 1 spark plug and 2 header bolts on the passenger side manifold. Tomorrow I am gonna start cutting up my y pipe since the bolts stripped out and I cant remove it from my manifolds. I am seriously so frustrated, and my entire arms are black with about 20 scratches and cuts. I sure hope its worth it in the end, cause right now I wanna just go blow my car up.
My long tubes took a couple of days of work. The passenger side went in in minutes while the driver side took the rest of the time. I had to lower the cradle a bit in the end to get it in...........
Old 04-03-2005, 07:38 PM

Yea these things are a bitch to work on. I've got my motor out and am working on cleaning up my engine bay. I am seriously dreading when I have to put the thing back in and hook it all back up.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jameslt1TA

i dispute that
Old 04-03-2005, 07:48 PM

HAHA.... talk about cuts. I just did a ttop conversion and have over 80 cuts on my body from sharp edges, fiberglass splinters, sharp tools, etc. I have at least 20 that bled. IN the end it was well worth it. Still have some fine adjusting to do. I thought i cut my thumb off because it felt it get extremely cold while iwas grinding but it turns out i actually burned it reall bad because i was holding onto some metal.
I agree, everything ive done on my car has caused at least one major problem.

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 04-03-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jameslt1TA
I have worked on a lot of mustangs and with the possible exception of the 32 valve cobras fords are alot easier to work on.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:58 PM

There aren't too bad once you learn YOGA
Old 04-03-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by wicked_95z
There aren't too bad once you learn YOGA
Hey man, did you get your car tuned? If you need help with the new setup, just send me an email with what you have and I'll see if I can help.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:11 PM

I did my edelbrock headers a few years back and when I was done, my arms looked like I was into self-mutilation . They were cut and bruised from bangin around or forcing my forearms into places I thought wouldn't be possible. Now, I got a 383 ready to go in with Hooker LT's, but this time before the engine goes all the way in, I will drop the LT's in and then lower the engine all the way. At least in my mind, it works....

Quick Reply: LT1's are SOOOOO EASY to work on!!!!11