LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Will Not Start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 PM

LT1 Will Not Start!

Okay so I have a 1995 Camaro Z28. I've had this car for the past month, kind of a little project car. Since I got it, it's had some what of a problem cranking up. It's like once you had the clutch pushed in, and the brake pushed down, you had to hold the key about 10 seconds then it would crank. I figure I would be replacing the starter a few months down the road.

So the other night after stopping at Walmart, I was unable to get it to crank up, mind you it was fine all day long. So we figured it was the starter, and push started it to get it home. So today we swapped the starter, and what do you know it did not fix the problem.

This is what happens when you turn the key.

All lights come on like normal.
Fuel pump primes.
When you turn the key to start the car, you can hear a feint click and that's it.

I've checked all fuses and relays under the hood, and in the driver's side fusebox.

I've heard something about my VATS freaking out, though I dont see a security light on, it has come on randomly while driving around though.

I have a 93 camaro z28 for parts if I need something off of it possibly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Look at the ignition switch and its' connector. VATS wouldn't allow the starter to crank over at all, not hold it off for 10 sec or so.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 PM

you need to find out if you are getting voltage to the solenoid (the smaller wire i think its purple) when you have the key in the start position. also if i remember right there is two posts on the solnoid you could hook up the small wire. make shure you got the right one, i think there is some info on that at shbox.com. i know i could not remember after the enginr had been out for a year. if there is no voltage there you are having an issue with the relay, ignition switch, or the clutch swithch.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver
you need to find out if you are getting voltage to the solenoid (the smaller wire i think its purple) when you have the key in the start position. also if i remember right there is two posts on the solnoid you could hook up the small wire. make shure you got the right one, i think there is some info on that at shbox.com. i know i could not remember after the enginr had been out for a year. if there is no voltage there you are having an issue with the relay, ignition switch, or the clutch swithch.
Having the started wiring wrong wouldn't allow intermittant starting....it just wouldn't start at all....
Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Check to be sure that your battery cables terminals are clean (no corrosion) and tightened properly to the battery.

Bob