LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

lt1 miss and popping exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 AM

lt1 miss and popping exhaust

Car is a 93 trans am m6 (not the car in sig). Since i have owned this car, it had a minor random miss. It started getting worse so i removed the delteq and hooked up plug wires on the msd opti (already on the car). The miss was still there and got worse a few weeks later. The car was also starting to backfire while driving. So i parked the car for about a year and would crank it every month or so and sometimes take it around the block. Today i fired it up and it was popping out the tailpipes just idling. I am hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction on what parts to check. Also not sure if it matters, but the rpm gauge started acting up after removing the delteq system. Somewhere around 1800rpms or so the gauge would start falling down. The engine would still rev up but, it did feel like there was a very minor power loss when gauge started falling. I scanned for codes and none showed up other than code 12. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Those pops sound like an opti misfire... Believe me....im not the guy that wants to jump to conclusions and blame the opti... But what ur explaining reminds me of when my opti went....

Idles and just minor pops....pop......pop......

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Re: lt1 miss and popping exhaust

Any idea where to get one at a good price?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by jklopez09
Any idea where to get one at a good price?
Im a big believer of u get what u pay for.... Some people have had good luck with the chandlers...they are under 200...om my onld 95.. I got a jegs accel one and it wkrked great.... My boosted 96 has a 600 dollar dynaspark and o think it and their customer service is second to none....

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Any reviews on the summit brand
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Administrator

AC Delco or Delphi. There are increased failure rates with just about every other brand, based on the feedback on this site. The lower the price, the higher that chance it's going to fail. Some people have had the off-brands last a long time, but many others have provided negative feedback regarding almost instant failures. Even the MSD is not immune to these complaints.

Appears the AC Delco unit may now be using rebuilt components, and also, the rotor screws will need to have Loc-Tite applied, or there is a good chance they will fall out.

Dynaspark has also had several very negative posts here over the past couple years, with regard to both declining quality and poor customer service. I believe the company changed hands. Try a "search"
Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Where is a good place to get an ac delco or delphi
Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator

The sources seem to change from time to time. This question gets asked every couple of weeks. Again, I would try a "search" to see who has the best pricing. Shoebox has a couple generic links for GM parts:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Again, the viability of any of these sources can change without notice.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Most parts stores carry Delco or Delphi you just have to ask for them and be willing to fork over the extra cash. Honestly though I'd check the plugs, plug wires and harness before I ripped out the opti. A miss that got steadily worse over time with both the Delteq and the Opti providing the spark doesn't sound like an opti issue to me.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM

There has been some horrible reviews over dynaspark...and even an attempt at using cheaper parts... Hell i even went thru 4 dynasparks back to back...but one thing i can say for Bob and dymaspark is that their customer service is second to none...had an msd opti in my car..500 dollar piece and the car always misfired at 5100 rpm.... Pulled it out....sent it to msd had it rebuilt and sold it...got a dymaspark....first one would not fire....i emailed bob...and he replied with SENDING YOU ANOTHER ONE. A day later i got it...abd it made a horrible sound when i spun the rotor... Called him and he said ....im sorry ill send u another one.... 2 days later i had it...and in fact of i was a thief or a con...i woulda had 3 of his 600 dollar dynas.... 3rd was the charm.... Boxed up all the extras... Semt them back..... And have not looked back since....

Msd charged me 112 to rebuild the 1 year old....5k opti.... Dynaspark stood behind their product and made me ...the customer feel like my money and my business were important.... Nothing veats great cistomer service.....Thats all

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Administrator

If you consider repeatedly sending out defective replacement parts as "customer service second to none".... Dynaspark really meets the mark.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If you consider repeatedly sending out defective replacement parts as "customer service second to none".... Dynaspark really meets the mark.
They stood 100% behind their product till the issue was resolved. That is chstomer service that is second to none... IT happens and issues occur with products... Having a company do what needed to be done to make it right speaks volumes over 90% of the red tape and BS that other companies put u thru when having issues with a product.

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM

Lol. For about 340 for Delphi on ebay(just type in optispark) I believe was partsspecialties. The best for ac delco I found was about 100 bucks more. This was two months ago. There is another brand now called dragonfire or something and its about 400 not sure about it bit their claims make it sound comparable. I went for the delphi for the price plus thats one of two that is usually always recomended and also the two that probably sell the most. Be careful if your paying new price for a rebuilt one as they go a little cheaper
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 AM

Interesting thread.

I"ve been is Sales for a long time. One customer statement that sticks out in my mind was one from Belgium who said 'We don't buy your product to get the second one free....we expect it to work the first time.' They were right, of course.

AC Delco and Delphi appear to be the ones with the best out-of-box performance and they're the ones to purchase. Unless, of course, you like changing the Opti...
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 AM

That is very true... But if that was the case we would never replace anything...and all oem equiptment would function properly forever. Any brand, any make, any product can fail, whether old or new, used or unused etc...at THAT point what makes for good customer service?
You have to agree that follow up and continued consumer care , repect, and ease in correcting the situation is what counts then...

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
LTXtech.com

Quick Reply: lt1 miss and popping exhaust