LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Intake Manifold Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:01 PM

LT1 Intake Manifold Question

How hot should the intake manifold of a 97 Camaro Z/28 be? My Camaro intake gets hot enough to be hot to the touch, and you can't hold your hand on it for more than few seconds. The reason I ask is because I know that the LS1 has a nylon/plastic type intake cover and it only gets slightly warm, but I don't know how hot the LT1 should be even though it's metal.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:20 PM

Re: LT1 Intake Manifold Question

You really shouldn't be concerned with putting your hand on a hot engine. The LT1 is designed to run well past 200 degrees. Since it has a metal intake, it's gonna be hot.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Smile Re: LT1 Intake Manifold Question

Originally Posted by shoebox
You really shouldn't be concerned with putting your hand on a hot engine. The LT1 is designed to run well past 200 degrees. Since it has a metal intake, it's gonna be hot.
Thank you for the answer! That's what I was hoping to hear but I was just making sure.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Two things to consider, if it's "really hot"......

- is the heat shield still on the bottom of the intake manifold? There's a sheet metal cover that keeps hot oil off the bottom of the manifold.

- have you done the throttle body coolant bypass? Removes the hot coolant from the throttle body, minimizing heat transfer to the intake manifold from the coolant. Picks up free 6 HP at the same time.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Two things to consider, if it's "really hot"......

- is the heat shield still on the bottom of the intake manifold? There's a sheet metal cover that keeps hot oil off the bottom of the manifold.

- have you done the throttle body coolant bypass? Removes the hot coolant from the throttle body, minimizing heat transfer to the intake manifold from the coolant. Picks up free 6 HP at the same time.
I assume the Intake Shield is still on because we put the manifold back on exactly how it came off of the old engine. I have not done a throttle body coolant bypass.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/tb_bypass.jpg

Dyno test:

Modifications #8