LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:01 PM

LT1 crate motor

Ok, I have decided that an LS1 is way out of the budget for me, I can get the same horsepower out of an LT1 especially when I port and polish the heads and stroke it, so here is my question, is there anywhere that sells an LT1 crate motor?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Re: LT1 crate motor

You bet you can... the ls1 just flows better you fix that issue and your set..
Old 05-13-2005, 12:40 PM

try a GM parts distributor like Dal or Jason....
Click here for their numbers and email.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Well, in my Scoggin-Dickey Catalog, you can get a Goodwrench Crate LT1 for $4900 OR you can get a LS6 for $5079. Im not sure what those come with or anything really about them, but give them a call or something to see whats up.

Tech Line # 1-806-798-4108
Old 05-13-2005, 09:50 PM

ok, here is a better question, I am only 16, and I am going to be working two jobs this summer, one to pay for my engine, one to pay the payments gas and insurance , I am hoping to have about $2000 to spend on an engine, do you think I could get a decent LT1 for around $2500 with maybe under 40k miles on it from a junkyard? or does it really even matter that im going to bore and stroke it and then convert to LT4?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:10 PM

You need to price this out first. 2500 will not allow you to bore/stroke and convert to a LT4.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by ChvyS10Lowrider
ok, here is a better question, I am only 16, and I am going to be working two jobs this summer, one to pay for my engine, one to pay the payments gas and insurance , I am hoping to have about $2000 to spend on an engine, do you think I could get a decent LT1 for around $2500 with maybe under 40k miles on it from a junkyard? or does it really even matter that im going to bore and stroke it and then convert to LT4?
You just need the engine right? Then yeah, you can find ones for pretty cheap from junkyards or on Ebay, and since it seems you want to rebuild it anyways, thats cool. But you say you want to convert to an LT4, why? There are much cheaper ways that will net you more power than buying the LT4 conversion kit, if that was in fact what you were planning on doing, however i suppose that was a little premature on my part, cuz you didnt tell us what exactly you meant by converting to LT4. Oh, and if by stroking it you have a 383 in mind, itll be WAY more than 2500, more like 7-8grand with all associated hardware that necessary.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:29 AM

yes I am planning on stroking it, but not for a while, the first project is getting the engine and getting into my truck, and I will start little by little, I am taking my time on it, no rush, so really, stroking it and boring it arent that big of a priority as much as just getting the engine in there, with that said, I saw a 383 stroker crate motor for $2998 brand new with 330 hp, a little strange dont you think? but any how, you really think converting it to lt4 would be that small of a gain? I am looking maybe at a head package to do after its stroked, but the only reason I dont worry about boring and stroking is, I have a powerdyne supercharger for my 4.3l, and the 4.3l supercharger bolts right on to an LT1 set up, so I will have a little bit of extra power from the get go
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 AM

yes I am planning on stroking it, but not for a while, the first project is getting the engine and getting into my truck, and I will start little by little, I am taking my time on it, no rush, so really, stroking it and boring it arent that big of a priority as much as just getting the engine in there, with that said, I saw a 383 stroker crate motor for $2998 brand new with 330 hp, a little strange dont you think? but any how, you really think converting it to lt4 would be that small of a gain? I am looking maybe at a head package to do after its stroked, but the only reason I dont worry about boring and stroking is, I have a powerdyne supercharger for my 4.3l, and the 4.3l supercharger bolts right on to an LT1 set up, so I will have a little bit of extra power from the get go
Why swap in a LT1 instead of a pre-LT1 SBC? All of your 4.3 accessories etc fit the SBC, and you can build all the hp your rear end will take for less money than modifying an LT-1/4.

I'd start with a 5.7 Vortec from a late 90's pickup. You should have a choice of decent, running engines from a good recycling yard. For a budget build, or a good start, the stock Vortec heads which come on the engine will make power. That's basically the 330 hp "350 HO" crate engine. With a custom cam and valvetrain parts, which could transfer to your (future) 383, you'd have more power than the 350 HO. Something along the lines of an LE-1 cam grind would be close. It could be tweaked for you application, I'm VERY sure.

If you haven't already, get the swap books from:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/
Old 05-14-2005, 06:41 PM

the only problem is, that with my supercharger, it wouldnt make more then 20-30 more horsepower on that engine then it would on my current, but with an old LT1, I am also planning on rebuilding it, so i think I am gunna go with the idea my dad had, find a LT1 in a junkyard for around $500, and take the money you save, and build it from grun up, I would port/polish it, bigger injectors, rockers, cam, I think I am gunna keep it from being stroked, and go with some other minor mods, this way, I get a lot of power, and keep the streetability of the engine, and plus, I like the look and sound of the LT1 engines, just kinda suits me better I feel, but your idea would be the perfect idea for the next project I am planning on with my cousin's s-10
Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 PM

the only problem is, that with my supercharger, it wouldnt make more then 20-30 more horsepower on that engine then it would on my current, but with an old LT1, I am also planning on rebuilding it, so i think I am gunna go with the idea my dad had, find a LT1 in a junkyard for around $500, and take the money you save, and build it from grun up, I would port/polish it, bigger injectors, rockers, cam, I think I am gunna keep it from being stroked, and go with some other minor mods, this way, I get a lot of power, and keep the streetability of the engine, and plus, I like the look and sound of the LT1 engines, just kinda suits me better I feel, but your idea would be the perfect idea for the next project I am planning on with my cousin's s-10
If your SC doubled the 4.3's power, you're doing well already. You might be surprised how much power you can get (cheaply) out of a 350 with Vortec heads.

The LT1 swap is a little more complicated than the Vortec swap, but I'm sure you can cut weld and hammer, all of which are needed. Summit now has radiators specifically for the S-10 V8 conversion.

LT1 intakes look cool, I agree. They sound pretty much like any other SBC, however. Hey, good luck with the conversion.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:38 PM

summit or jegs both has s-10 v8 swap kits in there catologs or online. the kit come with headers motor mounts etc...