LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 PM

LT1 Cam question

Hi to all,

I'm sure this question has been asked alot but I'm not good nor do I yet fully understand the Cam numbers. I'm looking at putting a cam into my 1995 Z28. It's not a daily drive but I do take it out often. I want something with good HP increase and a killer awesome sound. Looks like the LT4 hotcam kit is a big seller and they sound pretty good, however I think I would like something with a little more loping, and HP. Could anyone give me some advice or there opinion also whatever Cam setup you mention if you know a good stall to match. The car is a 1995 Camaro Z28 A4, pretty much stock at this point, but plans and the making is already in progress. After the Cam install I'll be possibly consider. Oh yeah with the initial cam swap I plan to leave the stock heads but upgrade the heads the the near future after the Cam swap.

Sorry if this is filled with too much newbieness LOL

Josh
Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Cc 503
Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Hot cam is a waste of money, not much horsepower gain, why dont you ask Lloyd Elliot about one of his cams? just tell him you want it street legal.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Save up to do the heads and cam at the same time. A good cam for stock heads is not what you want for ported heads. But the big reason is that a lot of the work overlaps - you will essentially be taking the top of the motor apart twice to do heads and a cam separately. If you want a place to start, my choice would be a good set of headers and an exhaust system. That should give you a nice sound and will improve performance. Once you do the cam and heads, the upgraded exhaust will really add a lot of power. Working in a 4th gen engine bay is not easy - you really don't want to do the work twice and if you plan on paying someone to do it, you really really don't want to do it twice.

Rich
Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 AM

the cc503 will give good hp gains and a really nice lopey sound, so i second the first post, however, just that cam won't do anything without supporting it, so to elaborate on the previous post. A good set of valve springs will be needed the comp beehives are a good spring not sure of the part number. Also go with a good set of roller rockers preferably 1.6 ratio. Comp again makes some nice ones research on summit or jegs and see what you come up with, good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 AM

How about everything else, first?

CAI, headers, exhaust? Without the supporting mods a cam is useless.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM

Thanks for some of the tips. Yeah the headers or heads make since with the Cam. I plan on all of that soon. However, other than the fact it can be a pain to take apart the top of the motor twice you are saying I can just install a cam without changing heads? I understand the HP gain wouldnt be as much. Not sure which route I will go first, just starting the work, LOL. The 503 Cam that some of you've mentioned, where is that in relation to the LT4 hotcam? What size Stall would be needed? Also If anyone has any of the performance upgrades for sale, please let me know.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM

The lt4 Hotcam is considerably smaller than the cc503. Not sure of the stall but i would imagine a 3000 will do you fine. The hotcam doesn't have a very lopey idle unless you specifically ask for it from your tuner it also makes decent power but not near what the cc503 is capable of.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
Save up to do the heads and cam at the same time. A good cam for stock heads is not what you want for ported heads. But the big reason is that a lot of the work overlaps - you will essentially be taking the top of the motor apart twice to do heads and a cam separately. If you want a place to start, my choice would be a good set of headers and an exhaust system. That should give you a nice sound and will improve performance. Once you do the cam and heads, the upgraded exhaust will really add a lot of power. Working in a 4th gen engine bay is not easy - you really don't want to do the work twice and if you plan on paying someone to do it, you really really don't want to do it twice.

Rich
Yeah, pretty much what Rich said. You really need to start with the boltons then move on to a cam and heads. You won't reach the full potential of you cam without the supporting mods.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 AM

I did the cam before the heads because I didnt want to add the expense of the heads at this time and I did my own labor. If you do it that way then you have to choose parts that will work with the final setup. I'm going to add a good set of ported heads probably with next years tax refund. The cam/valve train I have should also work real well with the new heads. Next year all I have to do is unbolt the intake, heads, and headers, then swap the valve train and reinstall. I'll also need a new tune emailed but thats not a big deal either. At that point I'll want a dyno tune anyway. If your paying someone to do the labor then absolutely do it all at once to save the money.

Edit: I already had all the basic bolt-on's before the cam and valvetrain install.

Last edited by rickreeves1; 04-18-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Problem with double posting the same question is that you now have two threads going....

If you double post in error, please delete one of the posts immediately, before people start to reply to it. Click on the "EDIT" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to delete, and there is a "delete" option. Now we have answers in both threads, with some people posting to both threads.

I'll merge the two thread. Please don't double post in the future.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Get full exhaust, gears, torque converter, shift kit, CAI, etc. before trying a cam. You may find you don't need it.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 AM

Update

Okay, here is more info and what I would like to do.

My car is not a daily driver, just for fun and to cruise around.
I would like to make it at a little over the 400 HP range if possible.
It's a A4

looking into heads now. Here is what I like so far, please let me know what you have done with a similar setup

-cc503 cam, springs (beehives??) 1.6RR
-headers
-torque converter
-what kind of heads would some of you recommend? Getting there almost ready to order.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 AM

400hp at the wheels? or the crank? Either is very doable, but very different path.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 AM

400hp to wheels will require head work and big cam. 400 crank hp will require good tune and possibly a bigger cam. I don't know much about a 503 seeing as I'm a 306 dude, but I've seen a few videos of cam only 306 ppl put down 350+ hp which is roughly 380hp at the crank. I'm not sure what kind of tune they had. That was with a m6 however which makes it easier for rwhp.

Quick Reply: LT1 Cam question