LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT-1 bearing troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 PM

LT-1 bearing troubles

Hi I have a 95 Z Convertible m6,58mm t/b ,K&N cai, w/ 59,000 miles and I spun the number 1 rod bearing.I only drive it when its nice out and let it fully warm up before I jump on it.I have noticed alot of lt1's with spun bearings and was wondering is there a reason for this? My machinist says he thinks they start too fast. After sitting for a few weeks they start right up like you just got done driving it so there is no oil pressure for a few secs,so it wears on the bearing little by little.sounds feasable! Has anyone heard of another explanation? My motor was spotless inside cleaned with a light hone. I'm getting rid of those p/m rods I don't trust em.I/m figuring on going with the hot cam (suggestions?)while its apart,and a center force clutch? (had good luck with them in my other cars). Any suggestions for me?I/m not looking to go racing I want something reliable that jumps,and that my wife can drive(she won't drive my other toys).So any info on the bearings or suggestions to make the engine bullit proof are appreciated.Thanks!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:45 AM

GM built the LT1 with tight clearances, so there is more friction on the bearings and less room for error.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Also the number 1 rod get less oil pressure since it is the furthest away. When I rebuilt my LT1 due to worn cam bearings I had only one rod bearing that looked bad, the number 1.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 PM

I rebuilt my LT1 @ 141,000 miles.. the cyl bores looked good as did the main and rod bearings.. (surprisingly). However, the cam bearing were TOAST! I've had the car since 38k miles and it has had Mobile 1 its whole life..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 AM

LT1's are hard on cam bearings, some have speculated that it is the water pump drive. My front one was gone and that lead to my entire engine rebuild even though it was still running fine.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
LT1's are hard on cam bearings, some have speculated that it is the water pump drive. My front one was gone and that lead to my entire engine rebuild even though it was still running fine.
Same hear as far as front cam bearing. Looked a little sad with only 28k on the motor, when the H/C package went on, or is it in, or both? Said screw it and let it be, but switched to an electric waterpump to take the load off of it. So far so good, (knocks on head) .
Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 AM

No Lt1 will be "bullet proof". Just do it right. I don't believe that you should wait for it to "warm up" per se. I.e. don't sit there and idle for more than 30 sec before you take off so that your oil pressure will go up as you drive.

I'd forget the c force clucth if yours is ok-----spend your money elsewhere.

You, of course can build it stonger, but it costs money. Just make sure that when the cam is installed that it is done correctly and cleanly. Pay attention to the valve train, including appropriat springs, roller rockers, etc.

Do some homework on the cam you intend to install. There are lots of baby cams that perform well under 6K RPM.

Although I've never done one myself, I would relish the opportunity to rebuild an engine on a stand and be able to pay close attention to detail---which will give you some assurance that the thing will probably hold up. JMHO
Old 06-27-2007, 10:31 PM

lt1 bearing problems

thanks for the replies.My cam bearings looked good in my motor, wear was about the same one all of them.The only thing bad was the no. 1 rod bearing.I WAS doing a long smokie 5 grand burnout for my sons when it let loose which could explain alot! I remember reading threads about oil starvation too.Are the pumps a problem? Because doesn't the no. 1 rod get oil last in all small blocks?
My clutch is getting weak I/m running 315's an it was starting to slip speed shifting to 2nd cause of the added traction
I/m looking at the hot cam,the 503, or the 305 while the motor is out so i dont have to go back into it. I want to do a cat back but i/m holding back on headers (I know I should put em on) just cause of the pia issues that go along with them.I dont want to HAVE to work on this car. I have too many high maintanence toys already,but i/m not complaining Thanks again. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 PM

Smile lt1 bearing problems

thanks for the replies.My cam bearings looked good in my motor, wear was about the same one all of them.The only thing bad was the no. 1 rod bearing.I WAS doing a long smokie 5 grand burnout for my sons when it let loose which could explain alot! I remember reading threads about oil starvation too.Are the pumps a problem? Because doesn't the no. 1 rod get oil last in all small blocks?
My clutch is getting weak I/m running 315's an it was starting to slip speed shifting to 2nd cause of the added traction
I/m looking at the hot cam,the 503, or the 305 while the motor is out so i dont have to go back into it.I want something with a lopey idle and decent manners. I want to do a cat back but i/m holding back on headers (I know I should put em on) just cause of the pia issues that go along with them.I dont want to HAVE to work on this car. I have too many high maintanence toys already,but i/m not complaining Thanks again. Any suggestions would be appreciated