LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lloyd Elliott Heads/Cam packages info inside (for those interested)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:15 PM

Lloyd Elliott Heads/Cam packages info inside (for those interested)

I see alot of people asking questions about Heads/Cam setups and i think that Lloyd Elliott's are very good deals. I have been talking with Lloyd for the past two weeks about what i should get for his setups and he has been extremely nice and helpful. He responds to my emails almost immediately. I highly recommend him to everyone. He says you must supply your own cores and once he recieves them, they will be done in 2 1/2 weeks.

The setup i am getting in the LE1.5 It is $1,400 plus shipping:

SI 2.02/1.60 valves
Comp 26918 bee hive springs
CM retainers
10 degree locks
LE 2 cam

Here is an Email he sent me with all of the Package information:

Below is a basic run down on the head and cam packages. The best package will depend on HP goals, budget, rear gears, stall size, future plans, emissions, driving style, tuning ability, existing components, etc., etc, A phone call would be best to make sure that we can talk through these things and get a package that will work like you are wanting it to and also make sure that you have the complimenting parts to make each set up work.

I offer cam and head packager from $1100 to $1650.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LE1 cam pulls from 2000 to 6200 RPM and should make 370-390 RWHP with matching heads, 30 lb injectors, 52 TB, 1 3/4 LTs, No cats, good tuning, etc. The heads are ported using stock valves, performance valve job, back cut valves, CM 612 springs, retainers and locks, milling, cleaning and assembly. These heads flow about 255/180 with a 195 cc intake port and stock LT1's flow about 215/150 with a 170 cc intake port.

Heads and cam are $1100 (plus shipping). This has the RPM range of the Hot Cam, CC 305, etc. but makes more HP and TQ over these cams through out the entire RPM range. This will work with any gear and converter but the track times will be better with a stall and some gear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LE2 cam pulls from 2200 to 6500 RPM and should make 400-420 RWHP with matching heads, 30-36 lb injectors, 52-58 mm TB, 1 3/4 LT's, no cats, GOOD tuning, etc. The heads are ported and machined for larger Ferrea 2.00/1.56 valves, matching springs (Comp 987/977 springs and Ti retainers or Bee Hive springs and CM retainers depending on lifter type and EXACT cam specs), locks, locators, milling, cleaning and assembly. These will flow about 270/190 with a 205 cc intake port.

Heads and cam are $1650 (plus shipping) and will need GOOD tuning. This has the RPM range of the CC 306 cam but will make more HP and TQ at peak and across the board. The REAL difference will be the LE2 cam will make TQ in the 2500 RPM range and the cc 306 doesn't start until way past this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LE3 cam pulls from 2600 to 6800 RPM in a 350 (2300 to 6500 RPM in a 383) and should make 410 to 430 RWHP with matching heads, 36-42 lb injectors, 58 TB or mono blade, GOOD tuning, etc, etc, etc. These are the same heads as above. This type of RPM requires a lot more spring pressure and will also need Comp R lifters to handle the spring pressure.

Heads and cam are $1650 (plus shipping) and will need GOOD tuning. This cam is similar to the GM 847 cam but makes about 10 more HP at peak and starts making HP sooner. Makes more HP and TQ across the board. Needs gear and converter to work well in a 350. Pretty much a racing cam for the 350 or a good street cam that will act like the LE2 in a 383.

Everyone has a different opinion about what is streetable and what a safe RPM limit is for their engine.

If you are looking for just cylinder heads and with out a cam, the heads are priced at . . . . .

$750 for the LE1 heads only
$1300 for the LE2 heads only
$1300 for the LE3 heads only

Give me a call and I can help you pick a combo that you will be happy with.

Lloyds website is www.eportworks.com

Lloyd Elliott-------------------------------972-617-5671----------------------------Red Oak Tx 75154
NightTrain66@msn.com

Here are some repsonses to some questions i asked, sort of an FAQ.

Will i need to supply my own heads or do you have a core charge?

Originally Posted by Lloyd Elliott
I will need you to supply the cores.
Can i pass emissions with your setup?

If you really need the LE 1 to pass emissions, I can get it on a lil wider LSA and it will pass with good tuning. If you can get around emissions, it will make another 5-10 HP by not changing the cam specs.
How fast is the 1.5 setup?

A 3000 stall and some 3.73 gears would be capable of running in the 11's with this $1400 package . . .
What are the specs of the cam?

Once a deposit heads been made, I will give you the entire specs of the cam.
Are 1 3/4" headers really needed?

A 1 5/8 headers will cost about 10 HP or so
Do you require a deposit?

I require at least 50% deposit and the rest before shipping.
Can i send you bare heads, without valves or springs?

Bare heads are fine
How long does it take to complete the Heads/Cam package?

Once I receive the heads and deposit, I can usually have them ready to ship 2 1/2 weeks later
I am getting heads from Ebay since i cannot afford downtime, any particular heads i should get?

I would get the aluminums. They are lighter and already have screw in studs, etc. The Iron heads are heavier (more expensive to ship) and require machining for screw in studs and guide plates ($100).
All of the aluminum LT1 heads will interchange but the 97 models (561 castings) are thinner and do not offer as much "meat" to remove and will not flow as well with the larger valves and fully porting
Are there special gaskets i should get for your heads?

If you are using a stock bottom end, you would wanna get some Impala head gaskets and if you are using aftermarket pistons that come to the top of the block at TDC, you will want some Fel Pro 1074's.
What methods of payment do you accept?

I take Pay Pal, money order or cashiers check.

What is a good/safe rpm for your setup?

As far as RPM limit, that depends on how lucky you feel. I would think the limiter set at 6600-6700 RPM is fine and shift at 6400-6500 RPM. The RPM limiter is just there in cars you miss a gear or break something
Can i use my stock, low mileage lifters with the LE2 setup

The springs are included in the price. If you ahve R lifters, we acn use 977 double springs, Ti retainers, locks and locators. These springs are WAY too strong for the stock lifters and the bee hive is the best set up since it has a small retainer that is light weight, still can handle the lift of the LE 2 cam and have the pressure to eliminate valve float but still work with stock lifters.
Will this cost more or less?

neither, it will cost the same.

I charge the same price for the LE heds whether I use 987, 977 or bee hive springs on them. They each cost me different prices but I absorb the cost and make sure that teh customer gets the right set up for his lifter type/RPM range, etc.

I basically use the bee hives with stock lifetrs instead of the 987's now to keep the valve trane weight down. Even though the bee hives are about $100 more than the 987's the cost to the customer is the same.

The 977's end up being about the same price as bee hives after you use Ti retainers and locators.

It all depends on what lifter is used as to what spring set up I use.
What type of lifters, pushrods, and rockers should i go with?

I would get the Comp Cams Pro Magnum NSA Rockers (1305-16), 7/16 studs, Hi Tech push rods (7940-16), GM 14011051 guide plates and R lifters from Comp.
Is it safe to use stock lifters?

Alot of people re use the stock lifters on their head and cam set ups with alot more miles on them than that and have NO problms. You will find a few people that do have problems though. If the budget can't handle all of the parts mentioned, get the 1.6 Pro Mag rockers (NSA), 7/16 studs, GM 14011051 guide plates ($25) and Hi Tech pushrods ($100 or so). Get THESE parts (not cheeper parts that are similar) and then re use stock lifters.
Can i use cheap Ebay rockers and the $35 pushrods?

Even if you bought the cheeper parts and got lucky enough not to break anything, they will be flexing at high RPM and wasting HP. Better to spend a lil more now and eliminate any of this from happeneing.
Can i use self aligning rockers?

SA rockers will not clear with the springs use on the LE 2 heads. We can use the Beehive springs on your heads and this will work with that cam and allow you to re use the stock lifters.

Last edited by ShawnMacAnanny; 01-05-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:54 AM

Re: Lloyd Elliott Heads/Cam packages info inside (for those interested)

never knew there was a 1.5!
Old 10-24-2004, 04:54 AM

if he had the time or the resources to do so, he prolly would. either way you cant beat his prices. ive spoken to the guy over the past years and hes real easy to talk to. plus he knows his stuff inside and out!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:09 AM

He is currently working on getting a website up.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:52 AM

When the time comes, Lloyd has got my business. Awesome prices...
Old 10-24-2004, 11:19 AM

With all the business this site gives him, maybe he could be a supporting advertiser or sponsor now.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:20 AM

What are the differences in the LE 1.5 and LE 2? Its about a $200 dollar difference. Thanks
Old 10-24-2004, 11:32 AM

"The LE 2 head an cam package is $1650 and uses Ferrea valves in stead of the SI brand and Titanium retainers instead of CM retainers."
Old 10-24-2004, 11:37 AM

im also thinking about going with his heads or even his head/cam packages.i still have some more research to do but after talking to bryan from pcmforless in person and hearing all the responses from customers on this site he prolly will get my business.thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:39 AM

He is a Supporting Vendor. He doesnt have a website yet.

He reccomends this setup for his LE2 heads:

"I would get the Comp Cams Pro Magnum NSA Rockers (1305-16), 7/16 studs, Hi Tech push rods (7940-16), GM 14011051 guide plates and R lifters from Comp.

Lloyd"
Old 10-24-2004, 11:43 AM

PCMForless and MadZ28 can both do the tune for any of his packages. It is still reccomended you get a dyno tune after their tune as well to get the most out of it.

For the Le2 setup he reccomends a 3000+ stall, and 3.73 gears on an auto or 4.10s on a manual.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:09 PM

Ahh, Elliots Portworks. I see. Glad he stepped up.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:12 PM

Moved to top ^

Last edited by ShawnMacAnanny; 10-24-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:10 PM

I already have the LE2 heads. Do you think he will sell the cam that is similar to the GM 847? He didn't offer cams that I know of back when I got the head work done by him. I can get the GM 847 for $208, but if his is a 10 hp gain over the GM 847 and makes power down lower, wouldn't it be worth it? I will be putting it in a 383.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:29 PM

Z95,

I am actually a paying sponsor but web site is still a month away or so. There are not enough hours in the day.

If you do a search, you will find that I never posted any of the things that you read on the LT 1 boards, these are emails that i have sent to others and they would like to share the info. I actually have tried to NOT post up on posts mentioning my work in the past since I was not a paying sponsor. Now that I am a paying sponsor, I can post up and not step on anyones toes.

I have seen this email I send posted several times as well but I guess it bothers you a,mlil more than it does me. Surely there is an ignore feature you can use if it gets too bad.

EVERYONES set up is different and I prefer discussing each set up with each customer seperately. Alot of the answers youi read her might be different depending on what the customer is trying to do or what parts we are using.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
NightTrain66@msn.com

Quick Reply: Lloyd Elliott Heads/Cam packages info inside (for those interested)