LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Little Ram Air Scoop I Made...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 AM

Little Ram Air Scoop I Made...

Us LT1 guys can't use anything like the SSRA but most of the cold air kits for the lt1 are actually in a good place in my opinion. I've wanted to do something like this for a while now, tinkered around with the idea of using foglight openings but it never worked out, too many obstructions. Then I saw this:

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/f-body-lt1-free-ram-air/

It's a little like the SSRA in some ways, a little more open then I'd like, but I did it anyway because I love, love, love doing stuff like this. I plan to utilize modify it more for use as brake cooling for when I take it road racing someday. If I have to clean the filter a bit more often, then that's fine, I don't think I want to put on one of those dust jackets which minimize airflow slightly because the whole point is to increase it by every little bit possible.

I'll take pictures of mine tomorrow. It's a little wider than the one in the link and I painted it black. Mine came out a tad lower than I wanted, or maybe it just looks that way. Anyways I don't think I'll have any scraping trouble.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:50 AM

I used a long bolt and some nuts and moved that whole flap down on my camaro but I didnt see any gain from it..... But yours looks alot better than mine and not like I forgot to put some bolts in when I put the bumper on....
Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 AM

Ok, here it is:

Name:  frjr1300_039.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  frjr1300_040.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  frjr1300_041.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  75.5 KB

NOTE: the scrapes where you see prmer are from the install, I didn't wait long enough for the paint to dry, and also, the metal looks a little rough because it was a piece of sheet metal I used to use as a table when mixing primer.

A few small concerns....

Even though I made it as tall as the one in the link, it appears that it's lower than the other guys, but still higher than the air dam, slightly worried about scraping. Also about rain, he says he hasn't had a problem for 6 years of having it, something still worries me there, I may make a cover for the rainy season.

Other then that, haven't felt any gains that were big enough to rule out as being psychological, but hey, it's possible, and many gains aren't felt. I had fun doing it and would do it again.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:19 PM

I like it, thanks for the link

do you have the air well closed off or sealed off?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

looks all hacked together like a ricer would do. at least make another one and paint it half way decent so it doesnt look so ****ty
Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 PM

I haven't sealed it off completely yet, as I ran out of time, though there isn't a whole lot to seal off. I was thinking of sealing the filter off completely so that the air enter the filter and nothing else, so no air that is picked up by the scoop is lost going around it. Something tells me that that will be slightly more difficult to fab up, though.

Originally Posted by Pontiac_97
looks all hacked together like a ricer would do. at least make another one and paint it half way decent so it doesnt look so ****ty
Yea, really....because everyone is going to be getting down to the floor on their backs/stomachs to inspect something they can't even see in the first place . If you believe it's supposed to look cool, you belong in the ricer crowd, not me, this is no different than the SSRA, it's just not made by a company.

No wait you're right, I'll go buy that Dewalt buffer I've always wanted and get out the 2000 grit to knock down the orange peel ad buff that baby out, or better yet, I could always use the shop's buffer at work, I'm sure the boss'll love that!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I haven't sealed it off completely yet, as I ran out of time, though there isn't a whole lot to seal off. I was thinking of sealing the filter off completely so that the air enter the filter and nothing else, so no air that is picked up by the scoop is lost going around it. Something tells me that that will be slightly more difficult to fab up, though.

Yea, really....because everyone is going to be getting down to the floor on their backs/stomachs to inspect something they can't even see in the first place . If you believe it's supposed to look cool, you belong in the ricer crowd, not me, this is no different than the SSRA, it's just not made by a company.

No wait you're right, I'll go buy that Dewalt buffer I've always wanted and get out the 2000 grit to knock down the orange peel ad buff that baby out, or better yet, I could always use the shop's buffer at work, I'm sure the boss'll love that!
well if your going to do something like this then at least try to make it look half way decent regardless if someones going to see it or not. it looks like total crap under there. sorry if you cant take a little criticism. it just looks like someone had an idea in the afternoon and bolted something together real quick
Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 PM

I think it looks fine and serves its purpose and I think Pontiac_97 is stupid.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Great avenue for water ingestion.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM

thanks everyone.

As for water, look in the link, guy never had a problem with water in 6 years, and if I am worried, covering it has already been planned, I've made a template for it already. Not that it rains much here anyways.

I'm not sure I can box it in to make it a true ram air like I want, still need to work it out in my head. I thought about using tubing/ducting around the filter going down into the scoop. I'll try using some brake ducting.

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 08-24-2008 at 10:38 PM.