LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

legal nitrous??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 08:36 PM

If you are looking to to nitrous i have a sweet kit for sale in the forsale section!!!!!!!

Its an NX wet kit... with alot of accessories...

braden
Old 12-10-2003, 09:29 PM

but is this system legal to use on the streets or no?

ur not allowed to have it connected... why make it legal then?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:41 PM

why dont you just have the bottle hidden somewhere, and then just have an extra line coming into the back of the car, so if the cops ask you can say you dont have the bottle in and show him the line as proof.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Camaro_Guru16NY
I always thought that nitrous was legal even though all the lines and solenoids were hooked up. You just couldent have the bottle open on the street. Thats what I heard.... Dont Quote me though.

Pretty sure that is the law in Ga. as well.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
I believe GA passed a specific law to prohibit N2O use.

Yes, I read an article in Hot Rod about a year ago. They were the first to pass a law about it. It is legal to have it as long as it is not hooked up.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:50 PM

I had done some research on this. Most cops arent sher what really was the law. I do know that it is legal to "carry" it in the car also you dont need a permit to carry it either (some states do make you have this). From what i can gather what was stated earlyer is true. It is legal to have but cannot be hooked up. Meaning you cant just turn it off when you are pulled over. One more thing that got me asking alot of questions. I was told from the chamber of commerce that they have special rules for guys in "official" car clubs because they are "show cars" or some sort. I dont know the details on this. I will in a couple of days though

To answer a statement/question a few posts ago. Some of us cant just hide our tanks. Like me i have two 15" speakers in the back which means i must use the center hump in the middle of the back seats.

I think the carb legal nitrous systems might just mean its okay for us to smog the car with the system in it. I dont really think it has to do with lagality of use.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:41 PM

From what I know in CA:
1. Carb EO is good for smog test - meaning you can leave it on the car without the smog guy hassling you or during a street racing sting... assuming the rest of the car is smog legal.

2. N2O is NOT for street use and therefore should NOT be connected. Off-road use only....

3. (the "BONE-us") You can be cited for "transporting dangerous substances" IF you don't put the "diamond sticker" warning stating that you are transporting a dangerous substance on the bumper or someplace visible. The sticker is a dead giveaway to the cops that you have "something" in the trunk. Then you're screwed.

Of course, everything is subject to the officers discretion. Bad day = ticket, good day = warning or a front plate/window tint ticket...
Old 12-14-2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by madhatter
Yes, I read an article in Hot Rod about a year ago. They were the first to pass a law about it. It is legal to have it as long as it is not hooked up.
It can be hooked up but the valve must be closed on the street....guess the law makers dont know about the remote bottle opener .....anyway its the first step toward outlawing it out right.