LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2 Cam at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Re: LE2 Cam at idle?

If there is any doubt of where I am coming from, most cams that 'smell' at idle have a tough time passing emissions.
I don't necessarily think thats the case. When i was cam only and had the XE 224/230 cam it stunk pretty good at idle without a cat.

Also the whole thing about Comparing his cam to another, would not be a fair comparison because there's pass's emissions is BS. Like Bret said, they only compare these cams to the CC306, and the GM847. These are not emissions compliant cams as far as I know. Possibly someone has passed with a few of those cams, but I am sure with enough tweaking The LE cams could possibly do the same.

Am i missing something, what is really the question in your post, in this "thread"? I can say that I know a few specs of Brets cams, not near enough by any means to be dangerous...but I would say that since Brets cams are making more power then the 306, and 847 then he is doing pretty good since they are smaller duration wise from what i have seen. If thats all because his cams are on a tighter LSA, then everybody would be spec'ing cams.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:04 PM
A/G

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
I can get mine to run pretty lean at idle and it still smells....
Brad, I made reference to it in my first post, but I'm confident here you realize what the AFR gauge reads has no bearing on the amount of raw gas going out the tailpipe.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Yeah a lot of people know they are called O2s but seem to forget that that is what they measure not fuel.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by A/G
B4 I comment any further on your post, are YOU in area that requires emissions testing?
I am in NY, so not really. I am not trying to start anything. I just didn't see why this has turned into an emissions cam thread. I thought this was about if the LE2 cam smelled at idle, and from my experience it probably will...but I would also imagine with better tuning and what not the "smell" can be minimized somewhat.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by A/G
Brad, I made reference to it in my first post, but I'm confident here you realize what the AFR gauge reads has no bearing on the amount of raw gas going out the tailpipe.
I am fully aware of that fact. But with an aftermarket cam its alright to interchange fuel with air because of the extra valve overlap... so having one(fuel) implies you have the other(unburnt oxygen). By lean Im am using my sense of smell and by some bearing the stock O2 sensor readings. With a wideband youd basically have to shoot for an AFR around 17:1 or 18:1... roughly.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 89385formula
I am in NY, so not really. I am not trying to start anything. I just didn't see why this has turned into an emissions cam thread. I thought this was about if the LE2 cam smelled at idle, and from my experience it probably will...but I would also imagine with better tuning and what not the "smell" can be minimized somewhat.
Because any non-emissions cam is going to smell strongly of raw fuel. And without some moderate tuning experience the overly rich condition will always remain at idle.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by A/G
Ah, that be THREAD not post, but to answer the question, consider the original post/question of this thread....

I consider that having *a lot* to do with this thread.

BTW, my first post has little to do with comparing the LE2 to any other cam in particular, it has to do with comparing the LE2 cam to a cam that would pass emissions, or IOW a cam that will not "smell". If there is any doubt of where I am coming from, most cams that 'smell' at idle have a tough time passing emissions. It appears the original post has gotten lost in the discussion. BTW Javier, Florida residents do not have to contend with emissions testing do they? Now that it was mentioned, hasn't the 306 passed testing on ocassion previously?
Actually, I was referring to your comment about Bret's *post* Bret isn't comparing or suggesting this cam would pass emissions compared to any other cam.. unless I'm missing something that is not in this particular thread previously mentioned.

Anywho, no, we do not deal with emissions testing any longer in Florida; however I am considering moving to TN which has many counties that do. As my car is a '97 and they appear to only do OBD2 diagnostic checks and visual cat inspection, I will install a bolt-in cat for visual and have a 2nd PCM that has may have a more conservative tune and all the appropriate "checks" enabled.