LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LCA's and relocation bracket ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 09:39 PM

LCA's and relocation bracket ?'s

I have BMR relocation brackets...which hole should I use, the top or the bottom? I would assume the bottom to increase the angle, but I could be wrong. Also, which BMR LCA do I want, boxed or tubular? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:47 PM

To get more anti-squat you want the body side to be higher than the axle side. For most street use you want it close to horizontal. You don't want the axle side to be higher however. It all depends on what ride height your car is at.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:58 PM

I heard you are not suppose to use the lower hole unless your car is lowered, and I have tubular but I dont know what the difference in the 2 would be, to be able to use the lower hole I believe they need to be adjustable also

Hope that helps
Old 02-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by QuicksilverZ28
I heard you are not suppose to use the lower hole unless your car is lowered,
The back end of my car probably sits higher than stock, due to the Eibach Drag Launch springs and 28" slicks, and using the lower holes in the relocator brackets causes no problems at all. That's where Steve Spohn put them when he installed the brackets. Hooks like crazy.... .

My recommendation would be be to first make sure the arm is lower at the axle end than on the body end. Then try each of the holes and see which gives you the least wheel hop/best traction... it's going to depend on the rest of your suspension, and how much power you are putting down.

and I have tubular but I dont know what the difference in the 2 would be, to be able to use the lower hole I believe they need to be adjustable also.
If the relocator brackets are properly designed, the holes are not in a straight line, but are located in an arc equal to the path transcribed by the axle end of the LCA as it drops... hence a stock length LCA will work just fine in any hole.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:39 AM

So do I want tubular or boxed? Or is there really no differance? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
...If the relocator brackets are properly designed, the holes are not in a straight line, but are located in an arc equal to the path transcribed by the axle end of the LCA as it drops... hence a stock length LCA will work just fine in any hole.
This is incorrect. The primary reason for relocation brackets is to correct the LCA geometry on lowered cars, so the holes must line up perpendicular to the ground. Why? Because if you (or the next owner of your car) wants to use factory length LCAs (since you kept the good stuff) and lower the car, he will have to torch the old (weld-on) brackets off and buy+install new brackets.

If you are a serious drag racer, you are going to buy adjustable rod-ended LCAs that will allow you to reposition the axle for center and clearance for the slicks. You can adjust them longer to use the bottom holes if you are looking for anti-squat, trading off for cornering stability.

Buy LCAs for weight, ends, and quality (especially of the rod ends). Boxed vs tubular is as important as color.

DaveH