LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Kooks Header Question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 03:53 PM

Kooks Header Question.

On the LT1 1 7/8 LT's do they interfere with the air conditioning, the heater core? I know about running the short ac/delco oil filter. Is there anything else That must be removed or modified to make them work?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2005, 11:19 PM

Re: Kooks Header Question.

I installed my kooks headers about two weeks ago, here is what I think...

You could use a 02 sensor wire extension for the passenger side, it's not needed but it would make the install go quicker. If you decide not to get the extension, you will have to cut back the 02 sensor wire out of the protective tubing and re-route it.

Change the oil and use a shorter filter prior to the header install. Once the headers are on it's a bitch to get the full size filter out, go ahead ask me how I know...

They will not interfere with any of the A/C or heater stuff... atleast mine didn't.

I had to unbolt both motor mounts to get the headers in, some people only need to unbolt one side, others don't need to unbolt anything... I needed to do both!

If you have access to a lift... USE IT!

If a friend offers to help... USE THEM!

Get alot of beer and make sure you USE them to.

If you headers have all the emissions crap, as mine did, you AIR fittings will not match up. The size of the fittings and also the threads are wrong, don't ask me why... but mine didn't come close to matching!

Get some heat shielding wrap and protect the fuel lines by the drivers side collector, also wrap up the passenger side 02 extension wires.

Get a good set of gaskets,new plugs and wires. Take your time and do it right, you do not want to have to do this again.

Hope this helps, Good luck!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 07:02 AM

I just installed my kooks and they were a bitch for what you pay. not difficult to install, you just have too remove alot of stuff. i had a oil cooler and that probably took an hour just to take it out and run a direct line from water pump to radiator. for how much they cost you dont wanna set any records installing them.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:15 PM

Thank you both for your detailed posts. How hard were the header bolts to get to with a wrench?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 PM

I have Jet Hot LT's and I don't need a shorter oil filter at all. It was really easy. Why are the Kooks so hard?
Old 06-12-2005, 11:33 AM

I've had the kooks on for a few months now.

Just because of the way they are made leaves very little room for a oil filter.
I have a BMR K member and still have my steering shaft bolt barely touching one of the header tubes after a lot of grinding.

I think all the bolts were fairly easy to get in but the back ones are a serious PINA

I used Kooks Y pipe and a Hooker Areo Flow cat back. It pretty quiet until you get on it or between shifts.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:56 PM

Yup, the back bolts are a pain in the a$$. I actually had to cut up one of my wrenches to tighten one of the bolts, it was very close to the primary.

I have plenty of room around my steering shaft, atleast a half inch.