LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Mustang Dyno Results - Finally hit target

Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 PM

Mustang Dyno Results - Finally hit target

My 383 cuin stroker, home-built with the help of my brother, finally reached the RWHP and RWTQ originally targeted. It is an 11:1 CR, emissions compliant, single exhaust (3.5-inch custom home-built also), a daily driver. It had run 396 RWHP and 369 RWTQ (ft-lb) through 48mm TB and stock ignition wires. The target was 425 RWHP. I replaced the stock wires and the TB with 8.5 OVC wires and a 52mm TB. Going to the same Mustang dyno as previously, it put down 427 RWHP pulling strong to 6500 rpm (limiter) and a fat-curve 389 RWTQ (ft-lb).

The combination is well documented: AI heads and matched AI cam custom grind,dished Mahle 4.03-inch pistons, forged 3.75-stroke crankshaft, 6-inch forged H-con rods, port-matched intake manifold, blue-printed oil pump, decked block, Kook stepped LT headers, modified Kook y-pipe with high-flow cats, Burns 3-inch to 3.5-inch 2-1 collector, Stainless Works 3.5-inch to dual 3-inch muffler. PCM programming by PCMforLess, MSD coil and 8.5mm OVH valves, BBK 52mm TB, 1.6 CompCam RRs, Summit 42 lb/hr injectors (SVOs originally purchased were bad), in-tank 255 lph Walbro fuel pump, modified K&N CAI (8-inch conical filter). Stock airflow meter with screen in place. Stock Optispark, original air recirculation system. Stock water pump, stock radiator. A/C, radio, electricals all work.

I know it's a bit late, with the awesome LSx NA motors producing way more power, but I'm old school, had a lot of fun with it, and have fond memories of the late hours spent with my brother and the nagging from the wives.

I drive it to work every day, take it to the track often, go to dyno events with my buddies and basically enjoy it without fear.

I will run the Texas 1/2 mile mid-May, I'll post my results. Hopefully this will be the baseline for the next set of mods.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:05 AM

Re: Mustang Dyno Results - Finally hit target

31rw hp from just a bigger tb and wires? Your wires must have been junk. Nice motor, I would kill for a forged 383 with 400+ rw hp! Prob going to burn through a set of tires every few months with that power!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:35 AM

You chose the mahle pistons? I am starting a 383 build, and no sure if I like the mahle short ring stack, or use SRP but the oil ring is in the pin. Awesome numbers by the way.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight_Z
31rw hp from just a bigger tb and wires? Your wires must have been junk. Nice motor, I would kill for a forged 383 with 400+ rw hp! Prob going to burn through a set of tires every few months with that power!
Thanks, believe me, it takes a lot of self-restraint. The interesting thing is that with everybody running 1000+ HP setups on E85 with turbos/superchargers I'm a little fish in the pond. Like I said, I'm old school and prefer normally aspirated, original engine, daily driver (reliable, inspection friendly, reasonable mileage).

The ignition wires were OEM and were affected by the headers, the previous dyno pulls showed power fluctuations above 5500 rpm similar to misfire. I also noticed an increase in gas mileage with the 8.5mm wires so the OEM wires were definitely holding the engine back.

Nevertheless, I believe most of the gain came from the TB change.The 52mm TB definitely improved the top end, dyno confirmed seat of the pants. I agonized on the upgrade as in theory the 48mm TB should flow enough. Well, I'm not going to say anything against the 48mm TB, I'm just happy to have the 52mm TB.

I use the same dyno to make sure the incrementals are real. Same dyno, same factors, same technician.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by belac350
You chose the mahle pistons? I am starting a 383 build, and no sure if I like the mahle short ring stack, or use SRP but the oil ring is in the pin. Awesome numbers by the way.
Thanks.

Can't go wrong with Mahle.

BTW, don't go above 3.75" stroke on the crankshaft to stay away from interferences with the block. I know of a stroker build that got 3.85" stroke which required machining the block.

Last edited by TitoPR221; 04-29-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a suggestion.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 AM

That's cool, nice build.

I did a search on the 1/2 mile, was that on the 16th? I was in Ennis for the Super Chevy Show yesterday, didn't know about this 1/2 mile deal otherwise I may have driven to Houston instead. My grandfather trained at Ellington before going to England and flying B-24's over Europe in WWII.

Last edited by Not Dave; 05-17-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by TitoPR221
Thanks, believe me, it takes a lot of self-restraint. The interesting thing is that with everybody running 1000+ HP setups on E85 with turbos/superchargers I'm a little fish in the pond. Like I said, I'm old school and prefer normally aspirated, original engine, daily driver (reliable, inspection friendly, reasonable mileage).

Me too man-

I don't get why people drive those setups on the streets as well..

Keep it simple- Have a little fun... - There's no need for all that crazyness in my opinion...

Unless your a "every weekend" kind of track enthusiast