LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Kocking noise/ gas in oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:28 PM

Kocking noise/ gas in oil

I had a thread on here a while back about my engine making a knocking noise and also finding gas in the oil. After performing the checks suggested, I decided to drop the engine. I assumed the noise was coming from the bottom end so I checked all the bearings and they all looked ok. So then I flipped the engine over and pulled the valve cover on the driver's side I discovered that two rocker arms had come loose and where sitting sideways on two different cylinders. The pushrods did not appear to be bent but the holes that they go into were no longer round but oblong.

Would it be safe for me to assume that this was the cause of the gas in the oil? What could have caused the pushrods to come out of place? How long would the bottom end of the engine last if I just put a set of reman heads on it? The engine has 130,000 miles on it.

I am an amateur to all of this and I am trying to learn so I appreciate any comments. Thanks

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Re: Kocking noise/ gas in oil

Hey man as long as you didn't bend the pushrod and your lifters still good I wouldn't worry about a loose rocker, it happens especially if your reusing the same nut over and over again. as for the gas in the oil all I can think of is check your evap system connections. if you have a misfire or low compression you might want to check piston rings, possible hole in piston, or bad head gasket. good luck man kind of a tough one to find.

**sorry missed that rocker arm was completely off. did the nut back off that far or did the lifter collapse?, also replace those rocker arms so it doesn't block the oil passage in the pushrods**

Last edited by ny_z28man; 08-01-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ny_z28man
Hey man as long as you didn't bend the pushrod and your lifters still good I wouldn't worry about a loose rocker, it happens especially if your reusing the same nut over and over again. as for the gas in the oil all I can think of is check your evap system connections. if you have a misfire or low compression you might want to check piston rings, possible hole in piston, or bad head gasket. good luck man kind of a tough one to find.

**sorry missed that rocker arm was completely off. did the nut back off that far or did the lifter collapse?, also replace those rocker arms so it doesn't block the oil passage in the pushrods**
Once I discovered the rocker arms were out of place I stopped tearing the engine down and decided to look for advice in hopes that the engine could be saved. I have been told that the camshaft is probably worn and should be replaced. Hopefully I will get a chance soon to continue the teardown and check the lifters and pistons. At this point is this engine even worth trying to save?

Hopefully this link for the picture works:

http://tinypic.com/r/2pr8pea/5

Last edited by 96bluez28; 08-04-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Possible that your fuel injectors were leaking??? I.M.O with the engine out I would rebuild it to eliminate. all possible problems

Last edited by parkers Z28; 08-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM

only going to know by getting your eye down in there. it may not have damaged the cam and just messed up the end of the rocker and the pushrod. pull the intake and save the intake gaskets, get those lifters out and look down in the lifter hole to see if the cam is damaged. The chances of you damaging your lower end is pretty slim unless you sent metal fragments down. check the components if the lifters look good and the cam lobe is still smooth I would look into a good aftermarket cam, new lifters, good chromoly pushrods and some 1.6 rockers. plus get those gaskets replaced while the engine is in your hands.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM

How long do you think the bottom end would hold up if I just replaced the heads, cam and lifters?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 96bluez28
How long do you think the bottom end would hold up if I just replaced the heads, cam and lifters?
well being that you have 130K on the engine its about time to refresh it anyways (personally its time to build a powerhouse). I would pull it apart, especially because you have it out.

Last edited by ny_z28man; 08-07-2013 at 09:40 PM.