LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

knock after waterpump removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 AM

knock after waterpump removal

I had to replace my waterpump drive seal on the timing chain because it was leaking and after it was all put back together i started getting knock on my scanmaster. I dont know if maybe the coolant that came out could have gotten something wet and is creating knock. Any ideas? I dont recall doing anything wrong. little help please.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:12 AM

Re: knock after waterpump removal

how much knock is it pulling, a wire is probably touching check for leaks also exhaust leaks...
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 AM

It is very random series of knock that goes up to 5.0 degrees(because of the tuning max) mostly at part throttle. sometimes at idle i get knock but it jumps around alot.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:21 PM

I am starting to wonder if the scanmaster are accurate or what.I have also had some higher knock lately with 92 octane ,no mods that should affect the af ratio and getting some lean 02 readings sometimes also. I changed fuel filter and put in injector cleaner but still was persisting.
Today I hooked up my old powerscan cartridge on my hypertech programmer and didn't see really much knock at all.Also when I let off gas the scanmaster shows. 007 on 02 does yours..I have try it in some other cars. I also have laptop and autotap so maybe have to charge it up and try some logs with it.

Now I also lost a water pump last year and car has been away since but thought if the opti was messed would get some misfire codes on my 96 or the car would run rich not lean. I get no codes at all.
I wonder if I can trust the scanmaster readings..Presonally I suspect fuel pressure and will be checking that shortly..fuel pump with my luck I just know it!!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 PM

yes i get the .007 sometimes from the o2 reading when i am coasting at a higher speed, but that is because the computer is leaning out the mixture because you are not on the gas. Well it is dark outside and i looked under the hood and i can see two little areas where it appears to be arching. Can arching plugs/wires cause knock?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:39 PM

I dont' think arcing can cause knock .If anything think misfiring would make the car run rich.Now pig rich might get rich know possibly. Also would think if you have bad misfire or something else wrong you would get check engine lights.Do you have any codes being thrown out. I have none..zip.nada..

I think its coincidence about your waterpump and now knock. I think my car has a weak fuel pump am getting some low 02 readings.
I am testing fuel pressure tommorrow and expect to see it take a dive at wot big time. If it isn't that no idea what my knock is from. I have checked for rattles under it and think have none. I am running 92 and at my 1900 feet above sea level that is like 94 at sea leve should be lots of octane.
I have nothing in my mods to lean things out. I was thinking though maybe a leak at intake might lean out the car not sure if that leans it or makes it run rich.

Otherwise only way to get get real knock is too lean or mabye too much carbon in the chambers..Can try some seafoam maybe.