LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just some questions I have on the new motor that's finally running(396)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 10:40 AM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
Just some questions I have on the new motor that's finally running(396)

Runs great. Great power. We race at 5,600 feet elevation here is Albuquerque, New Mexico. Took it to the track last weekend. Still has the factory clutch in it, but it did go a best of 12.03@116.33(clutch slipping of course). Here's what I noticed when going down the track.
It is missing in thrid gear only right at 6,500rpm's. I didn't put my digital 6(MSD) back on because I'm not running the button on it yet, untill the new clutch is here. Is this something you guy's would put on anyways, and could this be what's causing the miss?? Not to sure how great the factory igintion system is. The Opti is brand new, no egr, which was programed out. Next, This thing will not Idle, unless I really play around with the idle screw. Is this normal?? When comming to a stop the motor rev's up to 2krpm's and only goes down when I'm at a complete stop.

Here's the setup
6"rodded 396
12.5.1 compression
Soild Roller 256/256@.050 644/614 lift 112ls
AFR 210's ported by GTP(310/235@650 lift great mid range and had them reflowed when I got them. Numbers were very close)
Bottomend is
Callis 3.875 Dragon slayer Crank
Ollier Billet Rods
Ross 40 over flat tops
Splayed caps.

When i put the k-member in I never had it aligned. I'm sure that will help in the MPH department. I was hoping this thing would go 120 up here at this altitude. Right now I'm only 4 off so maybe.

Neal
Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 PM

I would check your TPS and make sure it is giving the correct volts at the correct throttle position. Another thing to check that would effect idle is your IAC. Take it off the throttlebody and make sure there isn't anythink obstructing the pintle from moving not to mention test it. If the car is missing on the high end sometimes a MSD box could possible effect this but from the sounds of it I think the TPS switch is the problem.

A high end miss sometimes also can be caused by a spark plug gap being to much and the spark is being blown out in the case of Blown setups or if your coil my not be up to the task and can not provide strong enought spark on the high end.

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Very decent performance when you consider that 12.03 @ 116.33 at 5,600-feet converts to:

11.19 @ 125.0pmh at sea level.

If you were expecting to run 120mph at that altitude, that's 129mph at sea level...... certainly impressive for all motor.

Who did your programming? With a cam that huge, idle is not going to be its strong point.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:04 PM

I had that exact problem with my car, however mine is an all stock motor. But I just fixed it yesterday, and its back to behacing normally. I was just using the EGR itself not hooked up as a block off plate, turns out that it was leaking a little because now I put a new gasket back there and a solid plate that I made in the machine shop and now its back to the way it was. So make sure to double check for vaccum leaks, and make sure that things like your tb and egr block off have new gaskets on them. This was all after adjusting the IAC counts to see if that would help, but there was still no positive result so I would try those.

Chris
Old 10-30-2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Very decent performance when you consider that 12.03 @ 116.33 at 5,600-feet converts to:

11.19 @ 125.0pmh at sea level.

If you were expecting to run 120mph at that altitude, that's 129mph at sea level...... certainly impressive for all motor.

Who did your programming? With a cam that huge, idle is not going to be its strong point.
Fast chips did the program. Seems to be fine but have not had it on the dyno yet. It went 12.0 on the factory slipping clutch no less. It slipps like mad out of the hole and inbetween shifts. Now it's making a noise, so no more track visits untill a new clutch is in there. I was thinking it would go 11.70's on the motor here. 60' on my 12.0 pass was 1.71. I think a 1.5 something in the 60' department will get me there. I was hoping for a all motor 10 second car at sea-level and I think I've done it. I just need to get down to sea-level to find out.

Neal
Old 10-30-2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by TQdrivenws6
I had that exact problem with my car, however mine is an all stock motor. But I just fixed it yesterday, and its back to behacing normally. I was just using the EGR itself not hooked up as a block off plate, turns out that it was leaking a little because now I put a new gasket back there and a solid plate that I made in the machine shop and now its back to the way it was. So make sure to double check for vaccum leaks, and make sure that things like your tb and egr block off have new gaskets on them. This was all after adjusting the IAC counts to see if that would help, but there was still no positive result so I would try those.

Chris
I'll double check that stuff this weekend. Might just be the problem. Thanks