LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Jason Cromer v. GMpartsdirect.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 05:30 AM

Re: Jason Cromer v. GMpartsdirect.com

Originally Posted by shoebox
It's no secret. He sells at wholesale price. It's the same price that any shop would come in to the parts counter and buy the parts for.
Actually not. It isn't the same price. The price is less than the book trade price at a dealer. It is closer to the price the dealer actually pays gm for the part.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:21 AM

Jason and Dal are the clear winners, but I feel compelled to point out something that applies generally: Who cares how much the "shipping" is? What matters is the total you pay, not whether it's "shipping", "handling", tax, the item price, or anything else. Of course, service is important too, and it looks like Jason and Dal are better on both counts. I just get tired of hearing "GM PD has good prices, but their shipping costs are too high".

I sometimes order from GMPD. Like someone else said, sometimes I don't want to talk to anybody.

Rich

Last edited by rskrause; 10-02-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by arnie
Actually not. It isn't the same price. The price is less than the book trade price at a dealer. It is closer to the price the dealer actually pays gm for the part.
It's close enough!
Old 10-02-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
What matters is the total you pay, not whether it's "shipping", "handling", tax, the item price, or anything else. Rich
I agree. I usually order large bunky items, like fenders or other body panels from the dealer. The bottom line cost ends up being more attractive. At the dealer, you'll pay the ST, but not extra, for the usually high shpg. cost (legit or otherwise) for the bulky items.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Jason and Dal are the clear winners, but I feel compelled to point out something that applies generally: Who cares how much the "shipping" is? What matters is the total you pay, not whether it's "shipping", "handling", tax, the item price, or anything else. Of course, service is important too, and it looks like Jason and Dal are better on both counts. I just get tired of hearing "GM PD has good prices, but their shipping costs are too high".

I sometimes order from GMPD. Like someone else said, sometimes I don't want to talk to anybody.

Rich
I do agree that the bottom line is what counts and when I'm doing internet shopping I'll always look at the total cost and go off that. But, for some reason and I don't quite know why... it gets under my skin with GM PD. Maybe it is the way they do it? Maybe it is because it is sometimes SO high? Maybe because you can't actually see the shipping or know if they have the item in stock or even know when the item is going to ship and there is no way to call them to find out any of these items? I don't know... just know that for some strange reason, the high shipping irks me from GM PD while even though in most cases I just look at the bottom line and don't much care what the shipping is. Guess I'm a bit weird in this area. LOL!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 AM

I have ordered a couple of things from GMPD, but only when the shipping charge was in the "normal" range on the item.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I have ordered a couple of things from GMPD, but only when the shipping charge was in the "normal" range on the item.

Me. too.....
Old 10-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Rich
I "WAS" going to order 5 items from GMparts direct. The Shipping was like 20 dollars per item... and it was nearly 70dollars to ship all 5 items which cost like 50 dollars.... so how is that a good thing?

I stopped ordering from summit because I got tired of thier Shipping fees. Companies that offer low prices... than rape you in shipping I find to be full of doodoo... one purpose defeats the other... so in the end your really not getting a deal.