LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Intalling GM 1.6 RR with engine running

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 02:00 PM

Intalling GM 1.6 RR with engine running

I tried many searches.. but I'm still confused..

I don't have the RR yet but I will this week..

I have installed rockers before. But that was on an engine that was on a stand... so I could rotate the crank etc... I know how to set them to zero lash and I know how to preload them (for this particular set I had to do one full rotation if I remember correctly)

But how do you do this on a running engine? I'm not doing a cam swap for a while.. and I'm getting a good deal on these RR so I can't really just wait.

Does anyone have a website or a guide? I'm confused about things like.. how do I get the cylinders to TDC without rotating the crank by hand?

Thanks guys
Old 06-06-2004, 02:03 PM

Re: Intalling GM 1.6 RR with engine running

Originally posted by )2overt SS
I tried many searches.. but I'm still confused..

I don't have the RR yet but I will this week..

I have installed rockers before. But that was on an engine that was on a stand... so I could rotate the crank etc... I know how to set them to zero lash and I know how to preload them (for this particular set I had to do one full rotation if I remember correctly)

But how do you do this on a running engine? I'm not doing a cam swap for a while.. and I'm getting a good deal on these RR so I can't really just wait.

Does anyone have a website or a guide? I'm confused about things like.. how do I get the cylinders to TDC without rotating the crank by hand?

Thanks guys
Use the starter. Pull the spark plugs, injector connectors, and coil wire.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:09 PM

...Save yourself some aggrivation...adjust them with the engine running.

Frank
Old 06-06-2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
...Save yourself some aggrivation...adjust them with the engine running.

Frank
Thats where I am confused... I take my old rockers off.. and put the new ones on.. but now, before I start the engine, how do I know if they are too tight, or not tight enough for the engine to run ok, so that I can do the final adjustments?
Old 06-06-2004, 04:44 PM

Adjusting methods
Old 06-06-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by )2overt SS
Thats where I am confused... I take my old rockers off.. and put the new ones on.. but now, before I start the engine, how do I know if they are too tight, or not tight enough for the engine to run ok, so that I can do the final adjustments?

First adjust them by finding either 1 or 6 TDC then you can adjust them with the car running to fine tune em.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:29 PM

yeah just adjust them to about 1/4 turn past zero lash, I say this because you wnat them as quite as possible or you'll get a head ache while adjusting while running then when engine is running let it warm up to the temp you will be running the car, ie. 180*F, just look on temp guage, anyways now back off one rocker a bit, & loosen it's set screw about 1-2 turns, now loosen the nut more until it start making noise, now just turn it to tighten with your fingers, you'll know when the noise goes away, but don't worry I just use noise as a reference but when you hit zero lash you'll feel it with your fingers cuz the nut won't tighten easy anymore, try it you'll know right away what I mean, you keep tightening the nut for noise to go away & then you can't turn it anymore, don't try to go harder cuz you'll succeed & it won't be zero lash anymore, but once you can't turn it easy anymore hold the nut in that position with one hand & tighten set screw with the other, when set screw is tight (make sure nut doesn't turn when you tighten set screw, you might need to use a wrench at times) well when set screw is tight just put a socket on the whole rocker nut & give it a snug turn, this will wedge the set screw against the stud much better then just tightening the set screw, this will give you the proper preload aswell, about 1/25th of a turn past or so.

Try it & this will all make sense bud, & enjoy, your car will rev to the moon & never stop